dash crack getting worse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have that typical dash crack in my 2013 SSV. at first it was a crack that opened up a bit in cold weather and closed again in warm weather. Did anyone find a better solution, even not perfect? I heard about there are shells one could put over it, to cover the top of the dash all together. Are those still sold? (are there places that install them.

I can post a pic later, if needed.

thanks,

Ron

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard that those shells are hit and miss? and takes work to make them fit exactly right?

I was wondering, did anyone try this?:

since I "only" have that one crack, I think I might try that first. Instead of using the "corvette epoxy", would something like JB weld work? (I have tried that on different kinda plastics). I don't know what kind/type of plastic dash is made of. (and don't want to create a big hole in case it dissolves that plastic)

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard that those shells are hit and miss? and takes work to make them fit exactly right?

I was wondering, did anyone try this?:

since I "only" have that one crack, I think I might try that first. Instead of using the "corvette epoxy", would something like JB weld work? (I have tried that on different kinda plastics). I don't know what kind/type of plastic dash is made of. (and don't want to create a big hole in case it dissolves that plastic)

J-B Weld Plastic Epoxy is awesome stuff. If you go a little heavy on the black part of the mix, you can make the color a nearly-perfect match to the color of the dash.

I'd highly suggest stuffing something, if even a folded junk towel under the center area to support it. I don't recall if it's accessible with the radio out or not. But, that's the problem- It's a cheap plastic that doesn't age well coupled with a poor design that can't support itself. Over time, the wide, insufficiently supported center area that's been bouncing for years eventually stresses those points where the dash cracks first. Then it's all downhill from there.

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the front part can be taken out too, between the dask and windshield (I know since I had to replace it because that one broke/shattered too). JB weld plastic is different then "regular" JB weld?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the front part can be taken out too, between the dask and windshield (I know since I had to replace it because that one broke/shattered too). JB weld plastic is different then "regular" JB weld?

Yes. Very. There are other epoxies, but this stuff is ~$5.

Excuse me- it's Plastic Bonder:

I've reattached broken mounting tabs of two rather heavy headlamp assemblies with this stuff with not even a hint of failure.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1000% recommend Daskskin.

Jbirdstruck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Ron, the dash on my 2011 DPS Tahoe was so full of cracks a repair like the video shows was a no go. After researching dash covers I decided that was more money and time than I wanted to spend, especially with the varying reviews of that method. So I went with a very easy and relatively inexpensive dash mat. There are a couple of options but it is basically a carpet for the dash. I just covered the whole thing up. It looks nice and was cost effective and fast. Here is a pic. Good Luck

Attachments

• 55141A8F-191F-4D29-9A55-B10352D9D203.jpeg
    55141A8F-191F-4D29-9A55-B10352D9D203.jpeg
    296.3 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 25

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a dash skin for about 3 years (cmc installed it) and leaning towards just buying a new dash for $500. It may “look” ok but man it still makes noise when it gets cold….or hot. Just sick of the squeaks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHNorthWoods