Dark Argent Fender Flare Oxidation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JagerFast

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, have a '99 2dr Hoe Sport, has the two-tone color scheme with Dark Argent trim. 3 of my dark argent fender flares have this yellow oxidation happening on the flares. Are there anyways to clean this up? Has anyone dealt with this issue before? If not are there any OEM replacements in the Dark argent color available that you may have stumbled across while looking around for all things tahoe? Thanks for any ideas.

Jim

OP
OP
J

JagerFast

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
will take some and post. assuming the fl sun is responsible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JagerFast

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
this is the worst one..passenger side rear flare. it looks pitted as well as the discoloration. Any thoughts? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3599.jpg
    IMG_3599.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3600.jpg
    IMG_3600.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3602.jpg
    IMG_3602.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 38

nobsobs98

Reaction score
Looks to me that the paint has just worn off? Best bet is to take it to a shop and have them repainted, should cost less that $200

OP
OP
J

JagerFast

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Frank and Sunlitcomet but I don't think these were ever painted. I think they are molded plastic in that color. It also has some pitting which has changed the texture from smooth to rough in the affected areas. Wonder if this plastic material can be sanded to smooth it out before painting? Looked for replacements in the "dark argent" color. No Luck. Some aftermarket companies make the oem style fender flares in black but gm discontinued production of these "dark argent" flares that were used on the "sport" two-tones. It looks like the best I can do is try to fix these up and have them painted, check out the salvage yards to see if I can find any in better condition, or buy the aftermarket oem replacements and have them painted. Thanks for looking and your thoughts.

Last edited:

Tbruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure that's the base material of the flare itself.
The OEM flares are a yellow foam type material and they can be painted any color.
Best bet is to have a body shop look at refinishing those on the vehicle.
Taking these off will be costly as the crash book I saw gets 3.5 hours each for the fronts and about 1.7 each for the rear flares. Thats just remove and replace time; refinish time is above that.
OEM flares are about $120 each as well.

There are aftermarket flares that "adhere" along the top edge and get secured with screws in along the wheel opening. Seach and you'll see a thread on someone adding them. They looked pretty good and are about $130 for the set of 4
Tbruz

OP
OP
J

JagerFast

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
WOW! thx Tony...not what I wanted to hear $-wise but certainly appreciate the heads up.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Yea def the paint wore off. Kine are painted but yea the ckear wore off. Just get em resprayed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dnbri512

Latest posts