Custom buttons in empty dash spots

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
It's like a match made in heaven lol The cab over light switch is perfect! I just ordered one :) I think there's a back light on it. I'll have to figure out how to wire that into the dash illumination wires.

Then I'm curious, is there an aftermarket relay / fuse box? Something to add some expansion to the electrical system under the hood. I have plans to do overhead light bar, build in air compressor, and inverter.

s-l500.jpg

Link to where you found that!?!?!?

SUBURBIAN

All Chevy
Reaction score
I cut out plastic from driver rear storage compartment (where 99-02 factory subwoofer was located) to allow entire area behind trim to be used as storage. This plastic became blank to replace small storage below HVAC vent on right side (same as pic above), where I mounted a dual input port from amazon which has a USB and aux input for aftermarket head unit.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cut out plastic from driver rear storage compartment (where 99-02 factory subwoofer was located) to allow entire area behind trim to be used as storage. This plastic became blank to replace small storage below HVAC vent on right side (same as pic above), where I mounted a dual input port from amazon which has a USB and aux input for aftermarket head unit.
did you put a sub back in?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

SUBURBIAN

All Chevy
Reaction score
did you put a sub back in?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

No, in my 2003 Suburban, the sub is in the front center console, so the rear cargo area has a giant void of unused space where the subwoofer was located on the '99-'02 rigs. Instead of wasting this space and keeping a crate of junk in the back of my Suburban, I cut open this area (inside the small factory compartment) and use it to store a bottle jack, 4 way, raingear, jumper cables, etc.

jeffsyukon

Reaction score
No, in my 2003 Suburban, the sub is in the front center console, so the rear cargo area has a giant void of unused space where the subwoofer was located on the '99-'02 rigs. Instead of wasting this space and keeping a crate of junk in the back of my Suburban, I cut open this area (inside the small factory compartment) and use it to store a bottle jack, 4 way, raingear, jumper cables, etc.
I like this idea. Any photos?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My switch came in. Look AWESOME, will look totally authentic. Here's where my questions get more in depth lol I have All Data DIY / factory service manual for my truck. I need to find wiring diagrams. I want to wire up as factory would have been for the cab over lights.

I cannot even figure out how to find wiring diagrams in All Data though? It's a bit of a PITA sometimes to search? Anybody know where I can find:

1. Factory wiring diagram for cab over lights?
2. Possibly know of anybody that's opened up the interior wiring harness / have any documents / videos etc about it?

I am assuming a wire comes out of the main bundle running length of dash behind pods. I need to hookup to dash illumination and then run the relay wires out. I see switch has 3 more wires? Not sure what extra / 5th wire is for on switch? Not really hooked up relays before lol Although I have a masters in computer engineering and designed such things for aircraft.

I think there's a connector bundle in driver side foot well. Is this where all the connectors link up to go through firewall? Otherwise I know I can push a wire through the boot on firewall but rather have it hookup in factory location.

Did the cab over lights use a relay? I'm assuming yes? However, I don't see any blanks to add more relays in my relay box, unless that's in the door box?

I have a few more modifications to make to the interior wiring harness for other projects (upgrade aux power for higher load capacity / add backup camera / exterior, install ALC wiring but have tire compressor in it's place / add ***** power to pumper etc). Any information diagrams etc on it is greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,

20200306_184138.jpg 20200306_184225.jpg

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a wiring diagram for the switch. It's the becon button. Came on some HD vehicles for a orange construction beacon. Trying to decipher rest of wiring and how to best make a system to hookup a light bar with it instead of a beacon. It seems it's been done, but on vehicles that were prewired with the switch from factory.

image.png.5b7d080540986958e6c689a01ba12e9c.png

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SAVING MY NOTES HERE: Reverse engineering the beacon switch

Connector
PIN A: Blank
PIN B: BLACK: Ground?
PIN C: White - Power? ~ Fuse SEO 1 (15A?

PIN D: Purple - Dash illumination - indicates relay active
PIN E: Gray - Reference / Ground?
PIN F: Orange - BUTTON PRESS

Would be awesome if somebody had a electrical diagram for this back of this switch lol Probably I'm right but would take a lot of guessing out of things.

20200308_220909.jpg 20200308_221938.jpg 20200308_221947.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645