Wood & Silver Trim Interior Removal (Doors, Dash, Center Console, Steering Wheel)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

TOYSTRY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got it all finished and put back together. I had to redo the entire dash after doing it the first time, which means I had to uninstall, reinstall, uninstall, reinstall to get it right to where I was happy with it.

The first time I screwed up BIG TIME and didn't get the pieces lined back up right. Since you have to melt the plastic pieces apart from the backside, getting them to go line back up and then melt/glue them back together was a LOT HARDER and a LOT MORE WORK than I anticipated but it's finally right and I'm pretty happy with the results.

NOTE: If you asked me if I'd do this again, this answer would be NO......HELL NO.

Anyway, here are pics of the door completed:

IMG_6672_zpsbkkhdrqy.gif
IMG_6671_zps9eymuexh.gif
IMG_6666_zps8q54mf9x.gif
IMG_6652_zpshipecofq.gif

OP
OP
T

TOYSTRY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the center console and stereo completed. This was probably the hardest thing to do. Vinyl wrapping was the easy part.......seriously, it's stupid easy to vinyl wrap and I had no experience prior to doing this. It's getting the pieces that you had to "unmelt" to melt/glue back together that was the PITA.

IMG_6668_zpsudjqcvwf.gif
IMG_6673_zpsethumk43.gif
IMG_6664_zpscpp2aayl.gif
IMG_6657_zpsbsesnx4e.gif
IMG_6654_zpsrjnj6x7h.gif
IMG_6655_zpsivamuls8.gif

OP
OP
T

TOYSTRY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The steering wheel is probably the main reason I wouldn't do this again. When I was removing all of the SILVER pieces, I was able to pry out the steering wheel controls without removing the airbag, however I wasn't that lucky when reinstalling. I tried to remove the airbag cover on my own following a youtube video and a how-to post from the Silverado forum but after 3 hours or failing to removing it (don't try, it's not worth your sanity) I ended up taking the Tahoe to the dealership to have them remove the airbag and reinstall the steering wheel controls ($90 was the cost to uninstall airbag, reinstall airbag).

I also vinyl wrapped the bowtie emblem on the steering wheel as well....a bit time consuming but I think it's looks much better. I had to carefully cut along the chrome edge of the bowtie and then use a heatgun to ensure the vinyl covered the ugly gold completely. I think it turned out nice, but I wish I had a piece of black vinyl instead of the brushed vinyl but I wasn't going to order a roll of black for a 3" bowtie.

IMG_6670_zpsb3xlnhx9.gif
IMG_6663_zpsxwvfb5sa.gif
IMG_6662_zpsc9moxrtx.gif
IMG_6661_zpszjvpf5x2.gif
IMG_6660_zpsaxlxvuh3.gif

OP
OP
T

TOYSTRY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And the last two pieces, which were a PITA to realign and piece back together was the A/C vent covers......what a PITA. Seriously, I wouldn't recommend to anyone to do this as it's a LOT of work and the pieces will NEVER look the way they did before you disassembled it. I got it looking damn close, but I can see the difference. Most wouldn't be able to though, but I'm picky and am very critical of things I do.

IMG_6658_zpsrq9lfddt.gif
IMG_6651_zpsi3a0eem5.gif

LGSONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great, but wow, what a ton of work. Very unique and classy looking. Great write up and good pic's for other doing other projects, stereo, wiring etc...

LGSONE

OP
OP
T

TOYSTRY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great, but wow, what a ton of work. Very unique and classy looking. Great write up and good pic's for other doing other projects, stereo, wiring etc...

LGSONE

Thanks. I typically do threads on any modification I make to share with other but this is the most DEAD forum of any forum I belong too. I thought there would be a LOT more activity, maybe there is a different forum I should be visiting, if so, let me know because I love seeing what others are doing to their vehicles, and so far this forum has been as much fun as watching paint dry at times, lol.

LGSONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For our year vehicles this is not a very busy site that is for sure. But looking at the thread counts on the OBS and NNBS Tahoe's it is much busier. That is the only reason I continue here. I do wish it was busier but the active owners of our year vehicles is certainly a minority. I can say seeing your post is just what this place needs. I have yet to find a very active forum for Tahoe's and this one seems to have the biggest user base so I guess time will tell.

To your post, I was showing my wife and she was wondering if you were married and what her reaction might have been. My wife and I tore here 2015 Cherokee all apart to do a front camera and a Uconnect hack to her truck. She was totally in shock when she came home to see it all in pieces.

LGSONE

OP
OP
T

TOYSTRY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For our year vehicles this is not a very busy site that is for sure. But looking at the thread counts on the OBS and NNBS Tahoe's it is much busier. That is the only reason I continue here. I do wish it was busier but the active owners of our year vehicles is certainly a minority. I can say seeing your post is just what this place needs. I have yet to find a very active forum for Tahoe's and this one seems to have the biggest user base so I guess time will tell.

To your post, I was showing my wife and she was wondering if you were married and what her reaction might have been. My wife and I tore here 2015 Cherokee all apart to do a front camera and a Uconnect hack to her truck. She was totally in shock when she came home to see it all in pieces.

LGSONE

Ya I'm married but the wife doesn't know I tore the vehicle apart.....best part is that I bought the Tahoe for her and she hasn't even seen it yet. My wife and I live apart (military) so tomorrow she flies in to pick it up and drive it (along with our dog) across country from VA to CA. The funny thing will be when/if she realizes I disassembled the entire vehicle to vinyl wrap it which I'm guessing she will realize quickly since her friend that she lives with owns an IDENTICAL Tahoe, same model, same color, same everything. I'm not saying anything until she ask and is far away so I don't get the "speech"....lol.

With that, when I was younger (20 years ago) I worked at Circuit City installing car audio and alarms so I'm familiar with tearing apart interiors so I had faith in my ability to do what I did. Would I do it again....NOPE. Wasn't worth the time and at the end of the day you "Do Damage" the pieces when you take them apart but I did a pretty damn good job of minimizing the damage to where nobody but me would ever know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boom313