Cushy drop springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NebraskaJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So my wife is getting ready to sell my '14 LTZ for me because she HATES taking it on road trips. Says it rides too harsh and bouncy. Suspension is stock, upgraded to 22" rims and BFG Advantage T/A Sport LTs.

I've been wanting to drop it for a while and thought this might be my opportunity - spend $2k or $30k upgrading to a newer truck? Easy sell for the other half. My eyes like the look of 3/4 or 3/5 drops on our trucks.

Is it possible to get a "cushy" ride with a drop that low on 22s? I really like my truck but I wouldn't be surprised if I show up one day after riding my Yamaha and find a fkin minivan in my driveway with a bow on it.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my wife is getting ready to sell my '14 LTZ for me because she HATES taking it on road trips. Says it rides too harsh and bouncy. Suspension is stock, upgraded to 22" rims and BFG Advantage T/A Sport LTs.

I've been wanting to drop it for a while and thought this might be my opportunity - spend $2k or $30k upgrading to a newer truck? Easy sell for the other half. My eyes like the look of 3/4 or 3/5 drops on our trucks.

Is it possible to get a "cushy" ride with a drop that low on 22s? I really like my truck but I wouldn't be surprised if I show up one day after riding my Yamaha and find a fkin minivan in my driveway with a bow on it.

I got a ~4.25" drop using stock coils from a Jeep Wrangler TJ. They're a little softer than stock. Paired with a good shock (Bilstein, for example), they ride great and are cheap if not free. Mine were dug out of a friend's scrap heap. I bought another pair off Facebook MarketPlace for $20 from a guy that lifted his Jeep. I wish I could get equally softer, non-drop coils for the front.

I can't speak for the BFG T/As, but just having 22s is counterproductive if you want cushy.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with the statement above about 22" Wheels/Tires Combo
There just isn't a lot of sidewall and air cushion to absorb road harshness.

Maybe you just have some suspension pieces that are worn.. A susp rebuild
with high quality parts and going to 20" wheels would def help alot

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really doubt any lowered suspension would be an improvement (in comfort) on the stock one. I don't think your wife is going to end up happy with the $2k option.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NebraskaJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the input - I knew that the 22s would sacrifice ride quality somewhat, and I've had them on for almost 2 years now without the wife complaining. I'm thinking the stock components are just getting worn out (though I don't know why it would get stiffer rather than softer) and was looking for recommendations on how to get a better ride out of new components.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input - I knew that the 22s would sacrifice ride quality somewhat, and I've had them on for almost 2 years now without the wife complaining. I'm thinking the stock components are just getting worn out (though I don't know why it would get stiffer rather than softer) and was looking for recommendations on how to get a better ride out of new components.

I just re-read your original post and saw that it's an LTZ. Unless I'm mistaken, it should have AutoRide. The AutoRide shocks and struts use electronically variable damping. As normal shocks and struts wear, they get softer. AutoRide stuff gets firmer, and it's due to the variable damping. I don't know if it's mileage-related programming or if the suspension controller can sense the loss of damping, but it firms them up. Find a stretch of road with no traffic or turns and take note of the ride quality over a "test area". Pull off somewhere safe and unplug the connectors at all four corners. The struts have them at the top of the rod, the shocks have them on the side of the body. Drive through your test area and note the difference. Don't make any sudden maneuvers at speed cuz it'll feel top-heavy and you could lose control if you get too crazy with it.

If it feels much better, then you need new shocks and struts. You can get new OEM replacements or maybe even the ones from Arnott. Or, you can get quality "standard" shocks and struts and delete AutoRide.

Since you need new shocks and struts and you wanna drop it, yes, now's a good time to work that into the package. You gotta decide on how much you wanna drop it and then we can advise on the best course of action. If more than 3" in the rear, you're gonna have to give up the Auto-Leveling Control, if you have that. The type of rear drop coils depend on if you tow or carry people in the third row or any considerable weight in the cargo hold.

My goal was a 3/4 or 4/5 drop with factory ride quality and load capacity. It's still a work in progress, but it's plenty comfy and stable in its current state. I'm just working on a little more drop and a hybrid ALC system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas