2/4 drop issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

signguy62

Reaction score
I just did a 2/4 drop on my 2012 Tahoe SSV. I used Belltech PN2509 2in drop spindles and Belltech PN 34324 4in drop coil springs. Problem is, now the truck sit nose high. Looks like it got a mini Carolina squat going on.
The Belltech PN 34324 4in springs dropped the rear like 4 1/2in
I know I could add the included spacer that came with the springs. But then it wouldn't be a 4in drop.
What are some options I can use up front to gain another 1in drop without too many issues?

Thanks!

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Technically it's not a 4 inch drop if it dropped it 4.5" :)
How much will the spacer lift it?

OP
OP
signguy62

signguy62

Reaction score
Technically it's not a 4 inch drop if it dropped it 4.5" :)
How much will the spacer lift it?
The rear springs are advertised as 3-4 inch drop springs. 3in with the spacer installed. 4in without the spacer. So I could assume the spacer is 1in.
But I assumed a 3-4in drop spring would give me either 3 or 4in drop and got 4 1/2. So assuming anything when it comes to Belltech would not be advised.
I just want to drop the front an additional inch. Looking for something I can use with the spindles I already have.
Thanks

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh ok gotcha. Then you have to consider after a while they will settle some as well.
As for the front, not sure it's recommended but people have bolted the strut under the control arm instead of on top to get an extra inch or so. BUT, if you do this DO NOT use any factory hardware, use either grade 8 or 12-point hardware and washers. And I saw you can use 7/16" hardware instead of factory 10mm.
I am not telling you to do this but others have done this with success.
Otherwise, you'll need adjustable struts to get the desired drop you're looking for.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear springs are advertised as 3-4 inch drop springs. 3in with the spacer installed. 4in without the spacer. So I could assume the spacer is 1in.
But I assumed a 3-4in drop spring would give me either 3 or 4in drop and got 4 1/2. So assuming anything when it comes to Belltech would not be advised.
I just want to drop the front an additional inch. Looking for something I can use with the spindles I already have.
Thanks

Springs aren't an exact science and rarely ever yield their advertised drop precisely.

You were wanting a 2/4 drop and, apparently, got a 2/4.5 drop. Did you measure anything before and after or are these figures estimates? I'm mainly questioning if the front end got the full 2" drop, or if something's binding or not settled yet.

Lowering the front beyond spindles puts you past that threshold of quick and easy. Your options are to either bolt the strut under the arms (cheapest and quickest, requires 7/16" Grade 9 hardware and yields about 1.5" drop), get coil relocators (adjustable in increments from 1/2" to 2" drop- requires strut disassembly), lowering coils (also requires strut disassembly and won't be exactly as advertised and won't know until you install and let settle), drop struts (adjustable) or coilovers ($$$).

Or, since you wanted a 2/4 drop, make yours a 2/4 drop. Put a jack under the frame somewhere (since you probably don't have a hitch) and raise the rear 1/2". Step back and assess. If it's what you want, cut your spacers down to 1/2" (or whatever you decide) or order some 1/2" rear coil spacers from Amazon or ebay. I didn't see any 1/2" spacers right off, but I didn't look for very long. Looked like 3/4" (https://a.co/d/0ICuoaF) was the minimum but I know I've seen 1/2" spacers before. Maybe you would prefer the rear 3/4" higher instead of 1/2"? You won't know until you jack it up and measure.

If you've changed your mind and now want a 3"/4.5" drop, then prepare to pay and play.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signguy62

signguy62

Reaction score
Yeah, I realize springs aren't an exact science. I'm actually happy with the additional 1/2in I gain out back.
Yes, i did take measurements before and after. Front dropped exactly 2in on both sides and rear dropped exactly 4.5in on both sides.
Since I'm happy with the 4.5in out back, I'm just going to do something with the front. Your suggestion about bolting the struts on from the underside is interesting. Seems like a lot of weight for a couple tabs and some 7/16 grade 9 hardware though.
I like the thought of coilovers. But not the $750 -$1050.- price tag....lol
What about adjustable strut assemblies?
Do the make those for this platform? Are they physically adjustable or do they just use different length springs?
Well, I thank you for all your assistance. You're truly a wealth of knowledge. I just need to figure out how far I want to dive into it.
Maybe I'll just throw some spacers under the rear coils for the time being.
Thanks again!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I realize springs aren't an exact science. I'm actually happy with the additional 1/2in I gain out back.
Yes, i did take measurements before and after. Front dropped exactly 2in on both sides and rear dropped exactly 4.5in on both sides.

Good on you for doing this so you have factual figures to know exactly what you're working with!

Since I'm happy with the 4.5in out back, I'm just going to do something with the front. Your suggestion about bolting the struts on from the underside is interesting. Seems like a lot of weight for a couple tabs and some 7/16 grade 9 hardware though.

This is why it must be done with quality hardware. I've heard of people using Grade 8. Rough Country used to have a 2" drop kit that was Grade 9 hardware and a spacer. With no spacer, the drop will be less than 2". I don't know exactly how much and that's why I said "about 1.5" drop". But, it's a cheap option and you could fine-tune the drop very easily by making your own spacers (high quality washers?). Also, you could adjust your drop left-to-right to even out what is affectionately known as the "Chevy Lean". It does seem sketchy. But, Rough Country is a large company that specializes in aftermarket suspension. I don't think they'd risk their namesake or business livelihood over $20 in hardware. Grade 9 is 20% stronger than Grade 8. Maybe that's why they used it- "to be sure". I've NEVER heard of any failures resulting from this. A couple members here are using or have used it. I think one is running Grade 8. I bought the hardware from Rugh Country before I realized it was just Grade 9 stuff I could've gotten from a specialty store locally or online. I wanted to use regular/non-drop struts but bolt them under the arms to have that aforementioned adjustability. I can't find them at the moment.

I like the thought of coilovers. But not the $750 -$1050.- price tag....lol
What about adjustable strut assemblies?
Do the make those for this platform? Are they physically adjustable or do they just use different length springs?

Belltech and McGaughy have adjustable coilovers for our GMT900 platforms. McGaughy also has the strut coil spacers (AKA "relocators") that turn your current struts into adjustable ones. They're just spring perches that replace the stock ones. They yield a 2" drop, but include spacers to reduce the drop in (I believe) 1/2" increments. The drop struts from both companies do the same, but with rings that alter the location of the perch on the strut. With either of these options, you'll have to remove and disassemble the struts to make any adjustments then reassemble and reinstall to assess. Using the spring compressors gets old FAST.

I'm currently running a set of Belltech #25003 struts set at maximum drop on the passenger side and .5" less (1.5" drop) on the driver side to level out the Chevy lean. They have a new part number- #25004, that replaces the '003. Supposedly, the newer one can drop up to 3". I don't know if there are any other differences (strut valving, travel length, etc.). I have a set of the '004s and will compare when I remove the '003s. I'd install the '004s but I want Bilstein struts and they don't have a lowering option. So, I'll mount them under the control arm and have that same adjustable drop feature.

Well, I thank you for all your assistance. You're truly a wealth of knowledge. I just need to figure out how far I want to dive into it.

Happy to be relevant!

Maybe I'll just throw some spacers under the rear coils for the time being.

Those 3/4" spacers I linked to in my previous reply are for a Jeep TJ. They were the cheapest spacer under 1" I could find on Amazon. I'm pretty sure they'll work cuz Jeep TJ coils fit our Tahoes. That's how I got my 4.5" rear drop. A Jeep fabricator/crawler buddy had 'em in his scrap pile. I nabbed 'em cuz they looked awfully like aftermarket drop springs for these SUVs. They've been serving me well for almost 4 years and 30K miles now. Oh, and I have Bilstein shocks in the rear from a Jeep XJ.
:yaoface2:

Anyway, just use those 1" spacers you already have for now while you research. IMO, buying another set to save 1/4" of lift isn't worth it. Or, trim 1/4" off of 'em.

OP
OP
signguy62

signguy62

Reaction score
Springs aren't an exact science and rarely ever yield their advertised drop precisely.

You were wanting a 2/4 drop and, apparently, got a 2/4.5 drop. Did you measure anything before and after or are these figures estimates? I'm mainly questioning if the front end got the full 2" drop, or if something's binding or not settled yet.

Lowering the front beyond spindles puts you past that threshold of quick and easy. Your options are to either bolt the strut under the arms (cheapest and quickest, requires 7/16" Grade 9 hardware and yields about 1.5" drop), get coil relocators (adjustable in increments from 1/2" to 2" drop- requires strut disassembly), lowering coils (also requires strut disassembly and won't be exactly as advertised and won't know until you install and let settle), drop struts (adjustable) or coilovers ($$$).

Or, since you wanted a 2/4 drop, make yours a 2/4 drop. Put a jack under the frame somewhere (since you probably don't have a hitch) and raise the rear 1/2". Step back and assess. If it's what you want, cut your spacers down to 1/2" (or whatever you decide) or order some 1/2" rear coil spacers from Amazon or ebay. I didn't see any 1/2" spacers right off, but I didn't look for very long. Looked like 3/4" (https://a.co/d/0ICuoaF) was the minimum but I know I've seen 1/2" spacers before. Maybe you would prefer the rear 3/4" higher instead of 1/2"? You won't know until you jack it up and measure.

If you've changed your mind and now want a 3"/4.5" drop, then prepare to pay and play.
Yeah, I just bit the bullet. I dropped the coin on some Belltech coilovers. I'm going to leave the spindles in place for now and use the coilovers to get the nose down to where I'm happy with it.
Thanks for your assistance

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I use front drop struts. Sell em for 275 shipped

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230809-103708.png
    Screenshot_20230809-103708.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 15

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I just bit the bullet. I dropped the coin on some Belltech coilovers. I'm going to leave the spindles in place for now and use the coilovers to get the nose down to where I'm happy with it.
Thanks for your assistance

Nice. I'm interested to hear how they ride and handle in comparison to your PPV components.

BTW, save those springs- front and rear. If you'll never raise yours back up, you can sell 'em to recoup some of that coilover cost to someone wanting a mild drop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davekalk