Current Constraints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgator67

Reaction score
I would not bank on all future HDMI devices being compatible with current HDMI standards. At some point, the hardware just will not support it. I'm by no means an expert on HDMI, just using logic that applies to pretty much all technology. I had a 10 year old Macbook Pro that I finally had to upgrade because it did not support the latest software.

I'm not arguing this is some immediate problem either, just that it will eventually be one and unlikely cheap to fix. Whereas a new tablet is quick and cheap swap.
HDMI has been around for almost 20 years already. Yes the spec has been updated and there are certain features like eARC that require a newer standard than from years ago. But most HDMI devices are backwards compatible at least when it comes to basic features. And just playing HD video from a newer device shouldn't be an issue even 10 or 15 years from now. And I doubt I'll still have the vehicle beyond that timeframe. There's a lot more about the vehicle I would worry about becoming obsolete before the HDMI ports...

selectsplat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the topic of constraints...

Ordered 11/12 and was delivered to the dealer last night. However, they are missing the 22" black wheels and is showing 2 more weeks for those to be delivered. They are calling around to see if any other dealer has them and will work it out with them if they can find them.

In hind sight, I wish I would have ordered with the standard wheels and bought the 22" aftermarket. Factory installed is almost $3k but you can buy everything for $2435 + tax. Leaves about $400 for install in my neck of the woods. Plus I would have the factory wheels to sell. Lesson learned I suppose.
That’s exactly how I ordered, standard 22” for nothing additional, and will by 22” aftermarket.

Also ordered on the same day as you, but I’m holding out for the 6.2 and Liz package. Will probably end up waiting a couple more months.

Enjoy your new ride.

Oaktree

Reaction score
good to know on the black wheels, I tried to order them on my build but they won’t allow it with the six piston brembos.

Last edited:

cgator67

Reaction score
In my opinion, RSE is already obsolete. Even in the '21s it wasn't compatible with Apple Airplay. From my understanding the '22 doesn't have any wireless video option. My biggest beef with the RSE system is the integration. If GM's master plan is to have supply a dumb screen that requires an HDMI input for everything, why on earth did they put the inputs where they are most likely to be stepped on and broken? Why not bury them INSIDE on the center console where they could be protected? Or at minimum put an A/V cubby that can be accessed from the rear of the console and closed off behind a panel. It would need to be big enough to house some streaming sticks and their power supplies.

That said, I talked to Laura GMC yesterday asking when I could get an ultimate on order and was told to try again in a few months. He made it sound like nearly everything was on constraint. Adaptive Cruise control, air ride suspension, max trailering, power running boards, etc.
Agree the implementation could have been better with ports inside console, etc. But the Roku Express 4K+ gives me all the options I care to have, including Airplay.. It's not on the floor to get stepped on-- it's mounted to the side of the console. I ordered a short cable to power it so no cables are hanging. My young kids can't kick the ports on the center console from the captain's chairs. When they are older and can actually kick them, I hope they know better...

Could the RSE have been done better? No doubt. But I'm still glad we got one with it, at least at this point. Everyone should be aware of the design and it's pros and cons and make their decision accordingly.

When I removed RSE it came down to $2,000. I can buy my kids 2 new iPad pros, or a new iMac, etc which will be used way more than the 10 days we spend in the car per year that we’d allow them to use the screens. We don’t use screens as a babysitter, only on 2+ hr road trips. To each his own in this regard.
Yes, pure value for what you get-- two 12.6" blank TV screens for $2,000 is definitely more than it should be. But you can pretty much make that same argument about the vehicles themselves and most of the options being overpriced. At $71k with no screens, or $73k with screens, is it really much of a difference? It depends what you want in the vehicle.. to each their own, indeed.

Last edited:

GoHeels

Reaction score
Fair point regarding backward compatibility of HDMI. However, what about if HDMI is replaced by something better? Sure, this isn’t a home theater but the same applies. Just like those vans with TVs that only had composite video inputs… you either limit yourself to significantly outdated devices or you upgraded the entire system.

cgator67

Reaction score
Fair point regarding backward compatibility of HDMI. However, what about if HDMI is replaced by something better? Sure, this isn’t a home theater but the same applies. Just like those vans with TVs that only had composite video inputs… you either limit yourself to significantly outdated devices or you upgraded the entire system.
Anything is possible but don't see it happening for a long, long time. And even when something new comes, it will be a long transition to the next technology where HDMI is still supported for many years.

bonedog

Reaction score
Unsolicited update from my dealer in Dallas today:
"Just touching base. I was hoping GM would release more information about diesel engine production today but so far they have not. I wanted you to know that I have not forgotten to update you and will send over any information when I receive it. At this point it might be another week or two before they update things."

AJMBLAZER

Reaction score
Ours is here!

Two weeks before Christmas it went from waiting to built and awaiting transport.

Yesterday the salesguy called and said it was there. Cleared our schedule and we are picking it up now.

Attachments

• DE3FF689-EC8B-46BD-807B-106CA87EDF77.jpeg
    DE3FF689-EC8B-46BD-807B-106CA87EDF77.jpeg
    327.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 5F615367-E17C-44C9-8E6F-A382A78ED951.jpeg
    5F615367-E17C-44C9-8E6F-A382A78ED951.jpeg
    347.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 8C6A94C7-21FA-456E-95D5-125832801509.jpeg
    8C6A94C7-21FA-456E-95D5-125832801509.jpeg
    439.3 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Ours is here!

Two weeks before Christmas it went from waiting to built and awaiting transport.

Yesterday the salesguy called and said it was there. Cleared our schedule and we are picking it up now.
Looks good! That’s the same color we ordered. Did you get the slate walnut interior? Enjoy your Yukon!

cgator67

Reaction score
Ours is here!

Looks sweet, enjoy it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n