Cripped rear entertainment system on 2022 Yukom SLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edlee321

Reaction score
I received my 2022 Yukon SLT with rear entertainment package this week. (Ordered in August 3rd, delivered to dealership November 22nd)

The trucks interface completely changed to Google, and with that they removed critical features from the rear entertainment. They removed option for USB drive playback and miracast. I would like to know if they plan on bringing back these features in future android updates, right now it's running Android 10 June 2021 build date. There is an option to update software but this is the latest build.
I am using a USB drive attached to usb-c slot in the rear under the rear climate. It's the same USB drive that is working from my old 2017 Yukon, and I tested the drive on my galaxy s21 and it reads the files and plays videos fine, I need to know if there is a way to enable USB video playback, because using hdmi was not my plan for the rear. I wanted to be able to control the content with the front screen. And I'm very upset they crippled this option on the 2022 model year just to gain Google assistant interface.

Attachments

• 20211209_200754.jpg
    20211209_200754.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20211209-205533_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211209-205533_Gallery.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 20

kcb14214

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue, roku works great but my scandisk drive is useless. The usb c ports are just power right now… I even tried usb c to hdmi, no joy.

OP
OP
E

Edlee321

Reaction score
I was able to turn on developer options in settings and enabled usb debugging and will try using some adb commands, I am going to test which usb ports support usb drives, and then I'm going to force install some apps but that will not help me with the app the controls rear screens. Until GM adds usb file support to the rear app, I am p'ed off. I am most likely going to file a small claims suit against GM to get my money back for Rear Entertainment System.

kllerzomb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Overall the 2022 google "upgrade" is not that at all. The benefit of factory nav was having maps if you are outside of cell coverage. The rear seat experience is way worse between 2022 and 2021. It seems like a rushed deployment, and something that could be updated later, but you need a VEHICLE data plan now to have basic functionality. It won't even read your texts back without a data plan. It also wasn't advertised at all. The Chevy salesman I bought my Suburban from had no idea what functionality was included or excluded from the system.

OP
OP
E

Edlee321

Reaction score
I'm not happy about current state of rear seat entertainment, but I'm holding out hope for an OTA update for Android automotive OS will improve the rear entertainment app, this version google integration was definitely rushed, but android is completely capable of feature editions.

chris80

Reaction score
The RSE is very unimpressive. Currently using HDMI with Apple adapter AND lightening C for power. In a streaming world, I'm using 2 chords...SMH

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems so weird they would set up the system to work only with android and not iphone. Why not both systems like most aftermarket units? I'm totally lost if someone hands me a non iphone

OP
OP
E

Edlee321

Reaction score
No, it's not that the system isn't compatible with Apple or Android, the new operating system runs off of a special version of Android, which is very limited

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BattleBorn