Crimping tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What tools are you using to crimp battery ends? Are you using a "hammer" crimper, soldering terminals, or a actual crimping tool? What do you fee will serve as the best?When we did my system, we used a hammer crimper that i bought from out mobil electrical sales guy for 30$. I've seen this tool and wasnt sure how good it would work, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66396
and if soldering the ends on, would this create more resistance in the cable? I'm not talking about no 16awg, but some 8awg to 1/0.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never seen that took used before. For battery ends and big stuff, it's the hammer crimp...

hammer%20on%20lug%20crimper.jpg

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
for 1/0 I use a pair of crimpers a friend has, look like boltcutters. Those things are the bomb with plain lead terminals.

4 or 2 (which usually means gold plated sheetmetal terminals) I either hammer it myself + use dielectrice grease inside to prevent corrosion.
A Brick and a ball peen hammer is All I need to make a dang good crimp on those.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For 2ga and larger, I use the same tool Nathan posted and then I finish it off with solder and a propane torch for the least amount of voltage drop.

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
+1 on the solder. I usually just crimp it with a vise or my brother's ridiculously overpriced telecom crimper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kootamcgrabbin24