Create In Car Harddrive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I've used USB stick to load movies etc. for kids. I was thinking about getting a Wi-Fi enabled hard drive with auto drop box syncing etc. and installing in center consol. See link to hard drive type...

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Wirel...qid=1404790312&sr=8-1&keywords=wifi+harddrive

I could install a USB splitter for the rear USB port. Mount this inside console with hardwired power supply. Every time you pull into your house it would connect to your home wifi and sync whatever files you downloaded into it's dropbox folder etc. I can then easily add content to the car for the kids to watch. The question then becomes if the rear USB port would recognize the video files on a portable hard drive the same way it does a usb stick?

Any thoughts on any aspect of this. Does anyone have a USB hardrive and can you see if the car will recognize videos mp3's etc. on it.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a cool idea. Western digital had came out with a unlimited cloud type hard drive last Xmas that was really affordable. Maybe that would work also.

asad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You mean to say you can play movies from a USB stick in the Yukon? How you do that? I have been unsuccessful

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
I think it will only play movies from the rear HDMI input on the back of center console. All the movies I have played were ones I quickly took off my sons android tablet. They were all AVI or MP4 format. With the vehicle stopped you can mirror from the rear to the front etc.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
So the Seagate Wireless Plus hardrive definitly works. I haven't hardwired it. Setup was a pain in the ass, but you can automatically load content on the hard drive in the car via dropbox for those of you that are interested. There are some other cool features the hardrive offers as well.

jamesrich82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I ended up doing this with the portable sandisk wireless harddrive. It works amazing and it's easily portable between the truck and the tahoe

Reaction score
So the Seagate Wireless Plus hardrive definitly works. I haven't hardwired it. Setup was a pain in the ass, but you can automatically load content on the hard drive in the car via dropbox for those of you that are interested. There are some other cool features the hardrive offers as well.

I know this is kind of old but can you speak on setup details?

nemloc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
was there any discussion on how to setup? is there a way to delay the drive shutdown so it has time to sync off the wifi in the car before being shutoff once you get home?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n