???: maximum USB GB size for music (center console)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoPanocho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2011 Tahoe LTZ and I'd like to play my own MP3 music. I'm trying to figure out the **maximum** storage size USB flash drive (GB) that can be read by the USB port in the center console. I've searched forums, Googled various keywords, searched vehicle manuals, etc. I just can't find anything official. I wish I could search this forum for "USB" but the search parameters won't allow such 'small words.'

I have just over 34K files totaling 117GB. It would be great to simply have them all on a single USB. But I don't want to spend the money on a 128GB drive if it's not going to work. Other comments I've seen online seem to believe that the system struggles with any flash drive beyond 16-32 GB.

The manual states the following. I'll make sure any flash drive I use is formatted to FAT32. But I have to figure out how big of a drive it can support.

USB Supported File and Folder Structure
The radio supports:
. Up to 700 folders.
. Up to 8 folders in depth.
. Up to 65,535 files.
. Folder and file names up to 64 bytes.
. Files with an .mp3 or .wma file extension.
. AAC files stored on an iPod.
. FAT16
. FAT32

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the above spec says that the maximum number of files (~songs) is 65,535, then you can multiply that times your average song file size to determine your required stick drive capacity requirements. If you ripped your mp3's at 320 kpbs, then your average song file size will be in the range of 5-7 MB each. If you ripped at a lower kpbs rate, then your average song file size will be significantly less. Then, its just a matter of doing the math.

ZoomZoomYukonXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know this is an older thread but I just purchased a 13 Yukon XL Denali and was looking to use a USB for my music as well. I purchased a 512gb, created a folder called "music" and put a bunch of my collection on it. It's structured Music --> Artist Name --> Album --> mp3 files. It recognized a total of 125 files randomly out of the ~10,000 or so I had on the drive. When I select USB as the source "compiling list" flashes on the screen for about 2 seconds before it finds 125 songs. I'm going to try removing the "music" folder and just having the artist folders in the root directory.

The instruction manual states "The USB mass storage limit is 20 Gb. For the infotainment system to read the data for songs beyond that limit would depend on the manufacturer and data format." For reference, I'm using a SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1, 512gb.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I farted around with this for a while also, and ended up using an old iPod. It worked great, but it was so cumbersome to navigate the menus that I ended up just subscribing to Apple Music on my phone and mounting it on the dash so I could use that UI instead.

Garth Knight

Reaction score
What about for the new 2022 Tahoes and Yukons? Anyone know the specs on the infotainment system in regards to usb drives?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bekahgentry

Latest posts