Creaking above passenger side second row bucket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kidtriton

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Would this creaking noise be described as a high pitch chirp? Or is it a lower pitched creak? Mine has a high pitch chirp from somewhere around the back seat area and my kids hear it but can't tell me where it's coming from.

OP
OP
J

jjobev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would this creaking noise be described as a high pitch chirp? Or is it a lower pitched creak? Mine has a high pitch chirp from somewhere around the back seat area and my kids hear it but can't tell me where it's coming from.
That sounds like what I am hearing. If you push the headliner up gently with your hand you should be able to replicate. I spent about 3 hours yesterday driving and didn’t hear sound after putting foam in.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There are many sounds, I've found. The headliner can sound like a chirp occasionally, but its more like a clicking sound.

I did have a chirping sound coming from the back every time I'd hit a bump. It turned out to be the back hatch interior door panel was not fully connected. The lower left corner was completely popped out. I snapped back into position and no more chirps. Two of the metals clips that snap into the metal door frame would rub and make the chirp sound. This came from the factory that way and was one of the first problems I fixed. I looked everywhere for that sound and one day I slammed the back window closed and I heard the chirp. Opened up the back hatch, inspected interior door panel and voilà.

JasonHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What if we put felt tape in between the male and female clips? I can't tell if the noise generates from friction between the clips or from the female(top) clip and aluminum pano frame? Or both.

View attachment 261890 View attachment 261891

Do you think silicone would do the trick? Just put a nice bead of silicone at the plastic connections? I don't have my Yukon yet, but I was thinking about silicone if I have the same issue.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think silicone would do the trick? Just put a nice bead of silicone at the plastic connections? I don't have my Yukon yet, but I was thinking about silicone if I have the same issue.

I might give it a try.

I removed all of the foam this weekend, so service can get a good listen for this Wednesday. While removing the foam, the connectors started to disconnect, which allowed me to get a much better look inside (photos in Nov 7th post). I thought about cutting the two posts off the male end connector and using adhesive Velcro in between. May try the silicone route if service dept can't fix, which I highly doubt. Then again, once I get silicone up there it may be difficult to stick Velcro afterwards, if needed.

As jna97 said, they don't really do much. Velcro may work fine.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again, service "says" they did not hear headliner creak. Which either they are lying or didn't take it on the highway. I removed all the foam prior to service and I heard the noise throughout my drive to the dealer. Service advisor said the tech did mention that another owner mentioned the noise in headliner, but he could not duplicate. He said GM may likely issue a TSB for it if everyone starts to complain.

I'll try to record a better video of the sounds and send it to them. Probably just fix myself, but this is getting old...

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, service "says" they did not hear headliner creak. Which either they are lying or didn't take it on the highway. I removed all the foam prior to service and I heard the noise throughout my drive to the dealer. Service advisor said the tech did mention that another owner mentioned the noise in headliner, but he could not duplicate. He said GM may likely issue a TSB for it if everyone starts to complain.

I'll try to record a better video of the sounds and send it to them. Probably just fix myself, but this is getting old...

Or, you can request/demand that BOTH you AND the Tech take a ride together in the truck, and you can reproduce the driving condition that makes the noise, to ensure that the Tech has the 'opportunity' to hear the noise.

Palmetto469

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone have any luck with this issue in terms of having a dealer resolve it? Add me to the list of those experiencing it (Denali).

I’ve talked with my dealer about it but so far no luck. Mine is predominantly on the driver side. Tried some foam but didn’t help much (probably needed thicker foam).

Hoping for a TSB soon on this one and my rattling right rear captain’s chair.

OP
OP
J

jjobev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn’t even mention when I brought in for brake recall. The foam fixed the problem for me. I do need to add some more on drivers side but that sound is very faint compared to what I was originally hearing. The original sound would have driven me crazy. I found that I had to put much thicker foam in than I originally did so that it would expand once inside. If there is a dealer fix then I will bring in but this is no longer on my worry list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9