Creaking above passenger side second row bucket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yukontruckman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up my 21 Denali (September Build) and I have a similar tapping/ticking sound up in the headliner. Will see if I can narrow it down.

OP
OP
J

jjobev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same annoying sounds since day 1! I've found that adding foam (Pelican case foam) in between the headliner and the pano roof frame helps considerably. I shoved the foam pieces right where those plastic connectors are located. To me, it seems the plastic creak right where they touch the alluminum frame. (plastic to metal).
It truly pisses me off that I must find work around for annoying problems and now I have the water sloshing sound to troubleshoot. Dealer could not fix the creaking sounds, so foam it is!

I'd like to add that having driven my Yukon for 5k miles now, it is very cheaply made. I see having many issues down the rode. My goal is to keep it for 100k miles and get out of it. However, if I continue to have constant gremlins then its gone at end of factory warranty. It is a great family vehicle, but I am definitely worried about reliability.

OP
OP
J

jjobev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you post a picture so we can see where/how you inserted the foam?

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you post a picture so we can see where/how you inserted the foam?

I shoved the foam right where those white plastic connectors are. You can pull down the headliner just enough to place the foam.

In the front I placed two earplugs in-between headliner. That area also makes similar noises.

IMG_20201012_175704812.jpg IMG_20201012_175710950.jpg IMG_20201012_175733642.jpg IMG_20201012_175721112.jpg

OP
OP
J

jjobev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
J

jjobev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much. I ordered some foam and will give it a try.
I just put the foam in. I will see if this helps and then adjust foam as needed. Doesn’t seem like it could hurt.

how big of a piece did you use. I could tell length compared to head rest but wasn’t sure how far back into the headliner you went.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put the foam in. I will see if this helps and then adjust foam as needed. Doesn’t seem like it could hurt.

how big of a piece did you use. I could tell length compared to head rest but wasn’t sure how far back into the headliner you went.

I pushed it right up against those white fasteners and made sure it wouldnt overhang the headliner. Made sure it was tight to limited any movement. I used a slim trim tool to work it in.

I no longer hear the creaks above driver's side and have yet to add it to the passenger side. Im sure it does it too (can reproduce with barely pushing on passenger side), but the distance from my head helps.

OP
OP
J

jjobev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pushed it right up against those white fasteners and made sure it wouldnt overhang the headliner. Made sure it was tight to limited any movement. I used a slim trim tool to work it in.

I no longer hear the creaks above driver's side and have yet to add it to the passenger side. Im sure it does it too (can reproduce with barely pushing on passenger side), but the distance from my head helps.
Are you going above the white clips or putting below the white clips?

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you going above the white clips or putting below the white clips?

I couldn't go above or below, because its connected to that aluminum frame and headliner bottom. I just shoved it right in next to it. The foam is essentially keeping pressure on the top and bottom(spreading apart), thus keeping it from moving and making. Hope that helps. I'm probably going to do the passenger side now, because I'm hearing more on that side now.

I also get the same kind of sound on my driver side door trim. The black trim right next to your ear. I can gently press on it and recreate. Kinda like the glue backing never stuck.

OP
OP
J

jjobev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't go above or below, because its connected to that aluminum frame and headliner bottom. I just shoved it right in next to it. The foam is essentially keeping pressure on the top and bottom(spreading apart), thus keeping it from moving and making. Hope that helps. I'm probably going to do the passenger side now, because I'm hearing more on that side now.

I also get the same kind of sound on my driver side door trim. The black trim right next to your ear. I can gently press on it and recreate. Kinda like the glue backing never stuck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick