Cranks, turns over, runs, then dies (lots of codes from the Tech 2)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it does not auto detect. You have to build the truck every time you turn it on. When you get to the menu with the numbers, select 1 as your vehicle is RWD. It would be a 2 if you have a 4x4. There are also modules listed that are not installed on your truck so when you select them you'll get a no communication error message.

The menus between our 2004, 2009 and 2012 trucks is very different even though the latter two are essentially the same drivetrain and computer wise.
Spot on.

I was watching captures of members here reporting their running fuel pressures (@swathdiver was one) and went to my Tech 2 and couldn't find those pages and screens on my Tech 2. Turns out my 07 doesn't have the same fuel pressure regulation setup the later models do, so there just isn't options for those pages.

OP
OP
K

kronus

Reaction score
Messing around with the Tech 2 today. Found the starter relay menu, so I figured I’d start eliminating things like the starter. Interestingly, the first time I commanded the relay on, it started the truck. As in, the starter for a minute, disengaged, and then the truck barely 'caught' and stayed running. I tried to replicated it, and each time after that I got a very subtle click from under the truck, but no starter engagement.

Well, I messed around for a few more minutes and got the starter command function to operate the way I expected: I would command it on, and it would crank and crank until I commanded it off. I did this a few times until in the middle of a commanded crank, it stopped and I got the error below. So, now I'm thinking there's an issue with PRND switch. Could the switch have been friend from the transmission's 16-pin connector being shorted out with transmission fluid?

BA8F99AB-5CFF-4D59-A2E2-53248FC258EE.jpeg

Last edited:

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Messing around with the Tech 2 today. Found the starter relay menu, so I figured I’d start eliminating things like the starter. Interestingly, the first time I commanded the relay on, it started the truck. As in, the starter for a minute, disengaged, and then the truck barely 'caught' and stayed running. I tried to replicated it, and each time after that I got a very subtle click from under the truck, but no starter engagement.

Well, I messed around for a few more minutes and got the starter command function to operate the way I expected: I would command it on, and it would crank and crank until I commanded it off. I did this a few times until in the middle of a commanded crank, it stopped and I got the error below. So, now I'm thinking there's an issue with PRND switch. Could the switch have been friend from the transmission's 16-pin connector being shorted out with transmission fluid?

View attachment 348457
I would say it almost certainly is related to that switch (or switch wiring).

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a PDF of the shop manual on how to debug the shift lock control, I can send it to you if you think it would help.

Edit, I also have the transmission PDF.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadi awais