Cracked headlight NOT covered under warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would bet on manufacturing defect. It looks to start by a transition in the bevel of the plastic lens and then takes off following the path of least resistance. I'm not up on how hot the lenses get, but that could also cause expansion that would cause a weak mold to Crack. I'd get with your dealership to fight for you and also get with GM customer service and file a complaint.

OP
OP
G

Gshelbourn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to your first post but too bad it has to be something like this.

Can you post pics of the crack. It makes no sense that they say they are not covering a crack that could not have been caused by road debris. Kind of like a road hazard coverage that had no way of happening.
8E96AC21-8B5C-4E40-9BB8-5B597B21E159.jpeg

OP
OP
G

Gshelbourn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would bet on manufacturing defect. It looks to start by a transition in the bevel of the plastic lens and then takes off following the path of least resistance. I'm not up on how hot the lenses get, but that could also cause expansion that would cause a weak mold to Crack. I'd get with your dealership to fight for you and also get with GM customer service and file a complaint.
“Hello ———! This is Savannah reaching out from Chevrolet Customer Care. I wanted to let you know that I did speak with dealer and at this time, the repair is being denied. I have exhausted all my resources and at this time, the repair would be out of pocket as the crack is considered a cosmetic repair and not a functional concern.”

This was the response. Hoping someone on this site might have another resource at GM that I can reach out to. Maybe someone from GM is monitoring this site.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
This is bull hockey! That shows no impact from road debris. Freakin' idiot GM numbskulls! The dealer should cover it and fight with GM on your behalf. Is the dealer where you bought it or a different dealer? Sounds like "Tony and the boys" need to pay them a visit!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! Many, many thousands spent on a new truck and even though they understand it is a defect they still won't replace it. Pathetic......GM only makes like a 30k profit on each suv, even more on the higher levels. You'd think they could throw a light in that costs them probably less than $100 to make.

I'd keep fighting and escalate it if possible. I went round and round with GM for 22 inch Denali wheels that were shedding clear coat for no reason. They ultimately ended up replacing 2 of the 4. Denied 2 because of road chips from small rocks.........completely unrelated to the area of clear coat failure. So, I understand your frustration. Just stay on them. I will say it does help to have friends that work at a dealership too.

OP
OP
G

Gshelbourn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is bull hockey! That shows no impact from road debris. Freakin' idiot GM numbskulls! The dealer should cover it and fight with GM on your behalf. Is the dealer where you bought it or a different dealer? Sounds like "Tony and the boys" need to pay them a visit!
I would just like someone someone from GM to explain why this isn’t covered under 3yr/ 36,0000 mile warranty against manufacturer defects. Seems like they are trying to not pay legitimate claims with an office person that never talks to you. Only communicates via text message. Kinda frustrating but not to the point of getting “Tony and the boys” involved .

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is slightly presumptuous. It is possible there was some sort of manufacturing defect that was exacerbated by use, change in weather, etc....Nobody here can tell from words what caused it...
OP said the dealer agrees there is a crack w/ no evidence of impact damage.
Ain't never heard of such a thing Mike. If that happened to me my presumption is that someone hit the car while it was parked and not a mysterious defect from GM. I'd order a new headlamp, swap it out and not give it another thought. To each, his own.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ain't never heard of such a thing Mike. If that happened to me my presumption is that someone hit the car while it was parked and not a mysterious defect from GM. I'd order a new headlamp, swap it out and not give it another thought. To each, his own.

On GM Parts Giant the prices start at a little over $800, and some are around $1200; some even more $$. You're telling me you wouldn't push the dealer/GM a bit more and just pay for that out of pocket? For a defective lamp? Just eat it? SMH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10

Latest posts