Cowel hood or side panel air scoop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been wondering if a hood cowel or air scoop (but unless air intake is attached might be for looks so) what about where the air intake box meets the Renee on the passenger side , we cut a hole and add a side air scoop? I guess that would look silly only having a side fender scoop on one side only....?

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you are looking to gain, but I generally trim the air box itself to open in the forward panel, intaking air from around the headlight area.

Attachments

• 20210227_163620.jpg
    20210227_163620.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 21

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
been lookin for a cowl hood, myself... seems no love for our K2xx platform
(not a stick on one)
called/emailed a few places... no interest

& i dont know if id go as far as pic above,
but i opened up the fender & airbox , as below & put a k&n filter in

(fyi, the stock airbox w/ high flow filter should support up to 600-ish HP)

this is area to trim opening to make sure you get all you can into intake (sorry sucky pic)

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/attachments/20160517_163714_sm-jpg.346866/

this is how much i cut out to match

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/attachments/20170325_125326-jpg.346865/

Reaction score
Another thing to check, I know this was on my 2012 but may not be on the 2015+, is the inner fender above the front of the wheel well where the air enters from the outside. Mine has louvers cut into the sheet metal, so there is a limited amount of air that can enter that area also and may become the restriction.

I noticed this when I had the front bumper cover off and changing out the headlights. It was only on the passenger side. So no matter how much you open the plastic airbox, the air is limited by these....

20200314_211025.jpg

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears that you are implying that there is some type of restriction in the flow of air coming into the truck with the stock air intake system, that is potentially limiting the maximum throughput from your stock motor. I personally do not believe that this is an issue.

You can make cutout mods in the intake air system, and it will generate different and most like louder sounds, but IMO, it will not result in any significant additional throughput from your stock motor.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go read the air intake thread a few down from this...black bear did some testing of I takes...

Yes the factory does restrict and that thread has dyno proven evidence...then add actually driving and moving air...it will get slightly better even yet.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The ones that gained anything leaned out the engine and created spark knock and would need to be tuned by either adding more fuel or reducing spark, which would lessen the gains and you'd be back to square one.

Except you'd gain a lighter wallet after dropping the coin on the air intake system and a custom tune, and maybe pick up ~2-3hp

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does that not prove the point....showing that they indeed do flow better.

Not saying the won't/didnt/can't make gains...but it simply shows flow is improved.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know in my case...highly cut up stock air box (done simply to see if any changes were noticeable)...I have not see any drop in meage due to large tire and lift...but it did cause a dead spot in the pedal and I have retarded timing by 2 degrees with the use of my Diablo.

It did start to ping at high way speeds when trying to excelerate. Now that was in the lousiana summer time...100 plus degrees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11