Cost of used Tahoes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did the online pricing for my Tahoe through vroom, Carvana, CarMax. Carvana gave me the best price. Only 3k less than I paid for it new in 2018. It’s insane. But to replace it these things are going for MSRP and I won’t pay that. Who the heck is buying these things at these outrageous prices? Better yet where is the money coming from if people are hurting so bad as our gov leads us to believe. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't you get your $100,000 Covid relief check yet from Biden?

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did the online pricing for my Tahoe through vroom, Carvana, CarMax. Carvana gave me the best price. Only 3k less than I paid for it new in 2018. It’s insane. But to replace it these things are going for MSRP and I won’t pay that. Who the heck is buying these things at these outrageous prices? Better yet where is the money coming from if people are hurting so bad as our gov leads us to believe. [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was talking to a guy the other day and he stated that you could get a loan from your bank to buy a private party used car. I wasn't aware that you could finance like that on a private party sale.

That must be how people are paying for private party sales OR they are getting financing through used car dealerships.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Private sale via bank is my preferred way to buy.
No dealer, and the book value is reduces for a private seller vs a dealer.
It's like free money!

I have done 3 cars this way now.

only down side, less choices.
But not having to deal with a salesman, or the fkn finance guy that tries to force me to finance through them is totally worth it.

Oh, and yes you can totally buy from a dealer and buy through your own bank leaving them out of the finance deal.
Just don't tell them that until the end.
Don't say a word about cash or anything or they will try and add more fees to make up the difference.

I hate dealers/salesmen. :evil27::buttkick::upyours:
So many games.
I think i might have expressed this a few times now... :jester:

:patriot:

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Private sale via bank is my preferred way to buy.
No dealer, and the book value is reduces for a private seller vs a dealer.
It's like free money!

I have done 3 cars this way now.

only down side, less choices.
But not having to deal with a salesman, or the fkn finance guy that tries to force me to finance through them is totally worth it.

Oh, and yes you can totally buy from a dealer and buy through your own bank leaving them out of the finance deal.
Just don't tell them that until the end.
Don't say a word about cash or anything or they will try and add more fees to make up the difference.

I hate dealers/salesmen. :evil27::buttkick::upyours:
So many games.
I think i might have expressed this a few times now... :jester:

:patriot:

CarMax is pretty cut and dry, no secrets, no haggling, no extra fees, and no tricks that can be injected.

I've never traded in a car or sold to a dealer. Once I saw a sign for a used car dealer that said "we buy cars." So I brought a car in to them, told them I wanted $7,000. I think they offered me $3,000. I ended up selling it private party for $6,000 not long after.

I always use an "as is" bill of sale and also fill out the title and make copies of everything, never had any problems. Sold 8 vehicles private party throughout the last 7 years. The $5.00 listing fee on Craigslist is totally worthwhile and has limited competition to an extent. I think Craigslist's most used feature is car shopping versus anything else these days. Facebook marketplace has turned to $hit since they started promoting shippers and hiding local deals as well - figures!

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if anybody said this already... Good you are asking here too... Kelly Blue Book is a self serving tool for used car lots.

We do similar things in real estate. I avoid their analysis, aka appraisals. The real driver of price is supply and demand. Right now everybody explains there is very little supply.

Now that I am off my soap box haha Having troubles with appraisers right now at work haha

I got my 2001 Z71 Tahoe all ratted out with 225,000 miles on it for $3400. I probably could have got a clean non z71 for a little more. I wanted that option code printed in my glove box though haha That was 3 or or 4 years ago now.

$7000 at that time would get you a clean Z71. Then inventory went up in arizona after that and I could have snagged a couple different clean 2nd gen Z71 Tahoes for about what I bought mine for :(

Looking now I see two for sale. One looks like a bait and switch from dealer at 5k$ second is private party for $11k.. so dang they have went up!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I am in the process of replacing our 2008 Yukon XL SLT w/180K. Carvana and others are quoting $6-7K. I am fine with that as an easy sale and not deal with buyers and test drives.

that's not too bad.
I like to go off of NADA values, carfax pretty much matches that so it's a good place to start IMO.

I believe the value of 09 tahoe with 175k when i bought it last year was something like 8k for buying from a person.
And iirc it was something like 11k if buying from a dealer. :jester:
so that's still some $$ for carmax.

My story,
I got it for 7600 or 7800 iirc.

The hoe had been for sale since May, bought it in August.
I noticed the plates had expired, one of the red flags i choose to sorta ignore.
They had a good story, and had replace it with the Yukon XL for more space, few kids, one with special needs.
I felt sorta bad, but i offered them 7300 because of the expired tags, and a gut feeling about the engine, oil seemed thick...

Expired tags told me motivated to sell, so i ran with it.
Wife was with me telling me to just pay 8k, and luckily they knew the values stated that so there was 0 fighting as their ad stated 9k...

Me telling the wife to hold on for a minute and let me play the game.
Pretty much i had to coax them to counter offer.

the final price was me going "yay money saved w00t w00t!" and wanting to get this over with.

Others probably know my story now, issues started right after i changed the oil...
:jester:

High mileage, i knew the risks and figured the engine would get swapped at some point.
I will say that the hoe is fkn clean as shit.
Especially for an area that gets pretty good snow and salted roads.
No rust, bottom looks perfect.
Even the engine was really clean.
Looks like it was garaged most of it's life.
Carfax showed many owners, some having it for less than a year!

Damn good chance it was making sparkles in the oil for a little while.
but who knows for sure really.
I'm building a 6.0 for it now. :happy160:

Last edited: