Cost of New Tahoe/Escalade vs Resto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fasteddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a general observation. With most dealers having low amounts new inventory on trucks Tahoes subs, and eskys, I've seen markups of $10K-$30K over MSRP....$30K for Escalades.
Used Tahoes are way up in price too.
I started my resto of a 2003 Tahoe earlier in the Year and just got it out of paint a few weeks back....I love it. I'm into it for about $15K and everything is brand new. F**K the $80K new Tahoe, I like mine with the 490hp 6.0L, 3.73 gears and 19mpg on the hwy and my seats are more comfortable.

The reason I'm posting, is that in the past 2 weeks, I've seen 3 restored Tahoe/Yukons advertised for $20K+ in SoCal......and they are selling. I wanted to look and by the time I got to it, the first two were gone!. Here's a Yukon 2wd restored....engine, interior (hate the carpet choice), paint, wheels, leveled......$$23K

Just an FYI on Value......

Yukon01.jpg

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
Your Tahoe looks awesome! I came to a similar conclusion of going restomod instead of buying (almost) new. I am doing an 06 Escalade. So far the transmission is rebuilt and beefed, suspension and steering replaced. Went with bell tech to do a 2/3 drop. Waiting on the installer to swap out LQ9 for a new GM Performance LS364/452Hp with shortie headers and true dual exhausts. All new bolt-0ns to engine including hvac, steering pump, starter, alternator, etc. While we wait on the engine swap will have exterior paint touchup, reconditioning and new clear coat done. Last thing will be new dark red seat covers (to match Sport Red Metallic exterior color) and door trim from Leatherseats.com. All together, including purchase price of the Esky, I look to have a tad less than $30k invested. Not bad for a better than new 06 model!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I agree, especially about seat comfort. I love my 05 Z71 and have recently sunk a lot of money and time in to my rig. I went the way of keeping it stock except for the Hellwig Bars, front and rear. I have been offered $30k for it but am not selling. I have went thru all systems and replaced parts with Genuine GM parts or AC Delco. I have a build thread here if interested. Have a close to 2000 mile trip coming up in March. I have no qualms of going on that trip. Good luck with the Tahoe.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a general observation. With most dealers having low amounts new inventory on trucks Tahoes subs, and eskys, I've seen markups of $10K-$30K over MSRP....$30K for Escalades.
Used Tahoes are way up in price too.
I started my resto of a 2003 Tahoe earlier in the Year and just got it out of paint a few weeks back....I love it. I'm into it for about $15K and everything is brand new. F**K the $80K new Tahoe, I like mine with the 490hp 6.0L, 3.73 gears and 19mpg on the hwy and my seats are more comfortable.

The reason I'm posting, is that in the past 2 weeks, I've seen 3 restored Tahoe/Yukons advertised for $20K+ in SoCal......and they are selling. I wanted to look and by the time I got to it, the first two were gone!. Here's a Yukon 2wd restored....engine, interior (hate the carpet choice), paint, wheels, leveled......$$23K

Just an FYI on Value......

View attachment 358775
Your truck looks great! I'm in the same boat with mine, another thing I love about the older NBS is that they are much smaller in overall size than the new trucks but still plenty comfy for someone 6'4".

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I’ve been into restomods myself for a few years, so obviously I agree with most of your thoughts. But everything new for 15k is a bit of an exaggeration.

Typically I’ve ended up somewhere around 2x book value invested and 1/2 the cost of a comparable new vehicle, albeit with enhanced capabilities.

I’m pretty satisfied with the cost/ benefit situation but these vehicles will not go another 100k miles with just oil changes like a new vehicle. Parts will continue to need replaced.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Your truck looks great! I'm in the same boat with mine, another thing I love about the older NBS is that they are much smaller in overall size than the new trucks but still plenty comfy for someone 6'4".
At 6'4" and 240-250 lbs. I agree with you. I fit and feel just fine in my rig. I should open up a truck lot and sell nothing but 2000-2006 Tahoes/Yukons/Escalades to the "Big & Tall" crowd.

m1949

LS364/450
Reaction score
I'm in the process of a restomod build of an 06 Escalade. The build is being done by a friend who is a car dealer and also does 4 or 5 restos each year and sells them at Mecum. We started from scratch. He found me a nice, never wrecked, rust free, decent paint, 06 showing 148k. I'm the fourth owner. I bought it for $5250. I specifically wanted this body style, although personal taste aside 08-14 might be a more cost effective option. The body is straight and the paint is mostly recoverable. We are well into the build and its looking like when finished I'll have a shade under $30k invested. This price includes all new suspension including a Belltech 2/3 drop kit and shocks, new steering components, new 08 brake upgrade, LSA364/450HP longblock with Summit racing shortie headers and true dual exhausts, rebuilt 4L65E trans and new torque converter, new manifold, higher pressure injectors, fuel rail, coils, plugs, remanufactured bolt on a/c components, new power steering pump, alternator, radiator, hoses, waterpump, fuel pump, oil pressure sensors, used OE 20" Escalade wheels, new Michelin Defenders, reconditioned 140mph, 7000rpm instrument cluster and a few other thing I can't recall right now. Once the dust settles on what I have in it, I'll likely replace the interior. But it's in good shape, and my builder says he can recondition the seats to make them look new. So, for now I'm holding off on the interior. I don't know if the car will be worth $30 retail when I'm finished; but I'm building it to drive and keep long term. And, even without considering the retail/wholesale price split, or immediate drive-off depreciation on a retail purchase, $30K for a like new luxury SUV is much less than the cost for a comparable condition, low mileage newer one. Plus, I just plain like this body style more than I like the new ones.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts