Cooling System Urgent Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glisella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just pulled off the interstate and smoke pouring out of engine bay. Looks like this hose came loose and antifreeze got all over the engine...I obviously can't touch it at the moment because it's all smoking and hot but does anyone know should I do a push this back on do I need a new hose is it a crimp fitting is there more to changing this out? It's the hose on the left toward back passenger side of engine.20190206_093152.jpg 20190206_093152.jpg 20190206_092943.jpg 20190206_093138.jpg

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heater hose. Looks like the plastic fitting broke. Do not drive it as is. Your coolant has boiled off and it won't hold pressure

As a roadside fix to get you where you need to go, just clamp it off tightly with vise grips or some kind of clamp, refill cooling system, and drive to a repair shop.

Or, if you have AAA or some kind of emergency road service, have it flatbedded to a shop.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s called a quick disconnect and it’s kind of a pia to replace. Very common problem. I suggest using a genuine AC Delco not Dorman because the latter are known to fail quickly. But if all you can get is a Dorman then that’s ok too. If you’re doing it yourself, use a pair of snips to cut away the old plastic part, the quick connect is hard to release. There’s 2 different ones, one black and one white. You might just want a shop to do it.

OP
OP
Glisella

Glisella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wanted to just say thank you again for those of you that replied quickly the other day. I had to quickly try and search auto parts stores close to me for who had parts in stock and having you post the part helped get it done quickly.

The Autozone that was about 2.5 miles away had a new quick connect heater hose fitting in stock (Dorman) so I went there thinking that was what was needed. Having never encountered this problem before, turns out the fitting wasn't broken but the quick connect attachment to the hose that goes on this fitting was. Turns out the store did not have that quick connect in stock, so I bought 2.5' of new hose and some clamps and voila. Returned from MD back to NY (over 400 miles) and holding up no problems. Will order proper hose and fitting connection now that I'm back home and get done properly.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wanted to just say thank you again for those of you that replied quickly the other day. I had to quickly try and search auto parts stores close to me for who had parts in stock and having you post the part helped get it done quickly.

The Autozone that was about 2.5 miles away had a new quick connect heater hose fitting in stock (Dorman) so I went there thinking that was what was needed. Having never encountered this problem before, turns out the fitting wasn't broken but the quick connect attachment to the hose that goes on this fitting was. Turns out the store did not have that quick connect in stock, so I bought 2.5' of new hose and some clamps and voila. Returned from MD back to NY (over 400 miles) and holding up no problems. Will order proper hose and fitting connection now that I'm back home and get done properly.

I'm sure you'll appreciate the work @kbuskill is doing with Gruven to get these made from metal. Might want to sign up for a set.

Reaction score
I'm sure you'll appreciate the work @kbuskill is doing with Gruven to get these made from metal. Might want to sign up for a set.
The fitting wasn't broke, the quick connect on the hose that connects to the fitting was.

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad that this worked out okay in the end!

This incident is a perfect example of how dire things can get when any portion of the plastic connector fails. If it was something that would show symptoms before failure, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. The problem is that it can let go completely without any prior symptoms.

Some argue that all you need to do is plan to replace them every x number of years, treating them as a preventative maintenance item. While I'm sure that would help, sometimes the connector lets go way ahead of 'schedule.' Sucks to have to endure that excitement on the side of the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne