Cooling fan question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bad_juju2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So first off I'm new here so bare with me ☺️

I have a 08 Tahoe has about 173,248 on it.
A few weeks ago I took it in the shop to have some work done. They pulled the engine resealed it as well as a melling 10296. They also deleted the afm out of the computer to keep it from activating. So fast forward to today. I noticed the fans are turning on a little sooner then before. Hasn't over heated. So I took it to the shop again to make sure there was nothing wrong he did say they are turning on at 203 instead of 210 like before but we can't figure out why. My question is does the oil temp call for the fans just like the coolent does ? Keep in mind my oil temp is only a few degrees off of the coolent.

Reaction score
How did they delete the afm out of the computer?

Usually something like that is done with a tuning device and possibly the fan on/off temps were set differently when that device flashed the updated tune.

OP
OP
B

bad_juju2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How did they delete the afm out of the computer?

Usually something like that is done with a tuning device and possibly the fan on/off temps were set differently when that device flashed the updated tune.
Yes he used hp tuners to delete it out of the computer. and he said he checked it all and didn't see anything where it was changed

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it if it runs fine, when I had blackbear do my tune I requested the fans come on at a lower temp it gets hot here in CA during the summer

Reaction score
Also, I believe there isn't an actual oil temp sensor, but a virtual one that the ECM uses other various sensor readings and calculates the oil temp. A lot like the oil life monitor, it's not a real sensor, but a virtual one that the ECM takes various info into account and uses some algorithm to calculate oil life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt