Cooled seat conversion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Denali. Unfortunately this year didn't come with vented seats. Has anyone installed newer seats in the 2007-09 years? If so, what challenges did you have to overcome?

I'm wondering if I can re-pin one if the heated seat connectors for power and still be able to use the door panel switches.

Thanks!

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
It’s not an easy project to take on. I looked into it for our 08 YXL Denali. The diagnostic time, labor, parts and huge cost immediately made it a no go.

09 & 10 are controlled thru the BCM that does self diagnostics at each start up. There’s a (TED) module that both heats and cools the air. 11-14 models are fan vented only with traditional seat heating elements.

Instead of fixing all the clear coat failures with a full respray, replacing the cracked dash and dealing with our pistons slap we got a 09 Esky Platinum ESV and sold the Denali to a private party. That swap cost us $1200 2.5 years ago.

As long as you’re not in an immediate need to buy, finding an 09+ or later truck optioned for long term ownership is well with it. I flew to TX and drove it back to CA after an inspection company verified ours at a Lexus dealer. With e85 @ $3.19 and 91 @$7.09 a gal we haven’t looked back.

OP
OP
B

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not an easy project to take on. I looked into it for our 08 YXL Denali. The diagnostic time, labor, parts and huge cost immediately made it a no go.

09 & 10 are controlled thru the BCM that does self diagnostics at each start up. There’s a (TED) module that both heats and cools the air. 11-14 models are fan vented only with traditional seat heating elements.

Instead of fixing all the clear coat failures with a full respray, replacing the cracked dash and dealing with our pistons slap we got a 09 Esky Platinum ESV and sold the Denali to a private party. That swap cost us $1200 2.5 years ago.

As long as you’re not in an immediate need to buy, finding an 09+ or later truck optioned for long term ownership is well with it. I flew to TX and drove it back to CA after an inspection company verified ours at a Lexus dealer.

Thank you for the insights. I was hoping that a pin-out would be my only change, or a different key-on powered circuit.

I don't know what is up with the 2007-09 Denali trucks with piston slap. The best one I owned was a 2007, had 227k on it when I got rid of it (should've just kept it). My '09 had bad slap to the point I traded it off on a 2017 due to oil consumption. My '08 is my beater I got from CA in 2021, but it has piston slap every time it starts up. It goes away.......eventually. Still, super frustrating. No oil consumption, just leakage from the rear main seal. Again, WTF GM?

I hear you on the cracked dash BS as well. I really like this generation of truck for the drivetrain, ride quality, seats, etc, but they don't seem to age very well. It does seem like the Escalades have better quality dash and interior panels which is nice. I shouldn't rag on them too much. Mine has taken me on hundreds of miles of off pavement driving and mountain trails, and got me back home again from NM, CO, and WY without any complaining. Just stinks that the interior got so cheaped out on.

I can't believe the price difference in E85 to Premium!!!! That's absolutely nuts! I'd do the same thing. I like how they run on E85, just not the fuel economy. But, at that price difference, the cost per mile is super cheap. What kind of mpg are you getting now that the engine computer has become accustomed to that fuel on a regular basis?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Highway is almost the same on e85 as you’re really only using the motor to spin the already turning wheels. In the city it drops to 8/9 mpg which is just 2-3 lower than the 08 YXL Denali the way I drive.

The range drop is especially noticeable from city driving and you lose about 50-60 total miles. The win back is idling. While waiting to pickup the kids from school or appts it drinks the same amount.

Having this full-size Platinum ESV void of AFM, paint & dash issues with AWD & 400hp for $80 to go 240/260 miles per tank is nuts. The refineries in CA created a windfall by shutting down almost a 1/4 of their equip for maintenance for the last 1.5 year to gouge while they can. It’s weird having immunity to it in a full size SUV.

OP
OP
B

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a win for sure. I know you have nice weather and scenery out in CA, but I'm glad to live in the Midwest due to your above statements......they are only 1 part of the whole picture unfortunately. Enjoy the E85 while you can!

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Highway is almost the same on e85 as you’re really only using the motor to spin the already turning wheels. In the city it drops to 8/9 mpg which is just 2-3 lower than the 08 YXL Denali the way I drive.

The range drop is especially noticeable from city driving and you lose about 50-60 total miles. The win back is idling. While waiting to pickup the kids from school or appts it drinks the same amount.

Having this full-size Platinum ESV void of AFM, paint & dash issues with AWD & 400hp for $80 to go 240/260 miles per tank is nuts. The refineries in CA created a windfall by shutting down almost a 1/4 of their equip for maintenance for the last 1.5 year to gouge while they can. It’s weird having immunity to it in a full size SUV.

Are you drinking the California Marxist kool-aide and really placing all of the blame on "gouging" oil refiners in California, which is nothing short of hostile towards the gasoline and oil industry in regards to over the top taxes and regulations?

They shutter their refineries because of the burdens placed on them by the lunatics who run your state (coincidentally the same bunch of nutjobs running the nation right now as well.)

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
You’re passionate. I get that. Having worked for three different oil refineries in Torrance during my apprenticeship, yes, I’ve still got buddies who stayed on to turn out as journeymen pipe fitters and welders. I’ve made some friends with supervisors and chemists too. Yes, each one of those three companies I worked for in the past mysteriously shut down for maintenance that normally was deferred for years to overlap when a breakdown occurred.

I want your comment to stay on the forum so others can see that the spin you’re trying to sow stinks. If you’re attacking me, my friends and family for following the directions of gas and oil companies ordering us to do their bidding, come out and work with all the other iron workers, welders, boiler makers and welders who make it possible to process the fuels you’re whining about.

Don’t disrespect the people that make your life good and comfortable, running your car, generators and home heating just to make a decent days wage.

Are you drinking the California Marxist kool-aide and really placing all of the blame on "gouging" oil refiners in California, which is nothing short of hostile towards the gasoline and oil industry in regards to over the top taxes and regulations?

They shutter their refineries because of the burdens placed on them by the lunatics who run your state (coincidentally the same bunch of nutjobs running the nation right now as well.)

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re passionate. I get that. Having worked for three different oil refineries in Torrance during my apprenticeship, yes, I’ve still got buddies who stayed on to turn out as journeymen pipe fitters and welders. I’ve made some friends with supervisors and chemists too. Yes, each one of those three companies I worked for in the past mysteriously shut down for maintenance that normally was deferred for years to overlap when a breakdown occurred.

I want your comment to stay on the forum so others can see that the spin you’re trying to sow stinks. If you’re attacking me, my friends and family for following the directions of gas and oil companies ordering us to do their bidding, come out and work with all the other iron workers, welders, boiler makers and welders who make it possible to process the fuels you’re whining about.

Don’t disrespect the people that make your life good and comfortable, running your car, generators and home heating just to make a decent days wage.
Perhaps you are misinterpreting my text. Either that or you're a Newsom fanboy.

OP
OP
B

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, let's keep it cool. There are problems beyond all of our control. We don't have to like them, or the policies that created them. Let's keep the bashing down and stick to positive, collective, collaborative work helping others solve issues, or by supporting their projects/interests that this site revolves around.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Agreed, gas lighting, personal attacks or political provocations are desperate attempts for getting the forum off the rails. Ultimately, it’s another attempt to get above comments removed.

Not gonna happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo