Coolant Loss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmildoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if I lost coolant or just a sensor is acting funny. Wife left for the store then called and said the message center said low coolant... I told her to come back and I put about a cup of coolant in and the light went out, it didnt even seem low. What could this be? Should I do a drain and fill to be safe or what?

Any help is appreciated....

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
It was probably low if it turned off after filling.
Did you see the level below the mark on the tank?

Sepiroth

I am here
Reaction score
Honestly, the coolant system is a closed system. That being typed, anytime you have to add coolant, you're losing it somewhere. Now where, or how long it's been leaking, I dont know.

The only way to find out is to have a coolant system pressure checked perferomed. This should be done on a cold and warm engine. This will most likey find out where your leak is.

It could be such a small leak that this is the first time its been low enough on coolant to let you know.

OP
OP
jmildoc

jmildoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so there is no possible way that maybe my cap is worn out and it is evaporating or something. I mean I only added like a cup maybe less!!!

Sepiroth

I am here
Reaction score
Sure, a bad cap is a possible. Chances are that if indeed the cap is bad, you will notice some sort of staining from the coolant leaking and then drying, either on the radiator of de-gas coolant resovoir.

Sepiroth

I am here
Reaction score
If your reservoir is nasty, the rest of your cooling system looks as nasty. Thats why I hate DexCrap.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try taking the resevoir off and take some simple green and a scrup brush and go to town, something that will get inside the resevoir without damaging it!! Should clean it out pretty good!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65