Converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denalibro76

Reaction score
Currently rebuilding my LQ4 and have a converter question. I’m putting the BTR truck Norris cam in it and from what I gathered I can use the stock converter? I was thinking of upgrading the converter anyway so what would you all recommend? It’s not going to be towing anything. Just a daily driver with performance on the streets. Preferably something a little more budget friendly. Any input from you fine folks would be great!

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3600 min stall is what id get. stock converter will be so tight. needing to stand on the brakes at a stop, and the truck taking off pretty fast at idle on its own when you let off the brakes from a stop. my camaro would hit 20 mph on its own pretty damn fast. and break the tires free way to easy. like when you least expected it to break free. aka not trying at all. i lasted a month of weekends and ordered one up. i went with a triple disk circle D because my build plans were to add boost. you could go with a single disk for like $6-800. id get the billet plate too. triple disk ran me 1300. but if staying na, its not needed.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
3600 min stall is what id get. stock converter will be so tight. needing to stand on the brakes at a stop, and the truck taking off pretty fast at idle on its own when you let off the brakes from a stop. my camaro would hit 20 mph on its own pretty damn fast. and break the tires free way to easy. like when you least expected it to break free. aka not trying at all. i lasted a month of weekends and ordered one up. i went with a triple disk circle D because my build plans were to add boost. you could go with a single disk for like $6-800. id get the billet plate too. triple disk ran me 1300. but if staying na, its not needed.
3600? That seems pretty high to me. I don’t know much about stall, but when I did my cam and heads, with the new Performabuilt trans, I went with their recommendation, which was 2800. It’s a triple disc billet, and way overbuilt for my current needs, but hoping to bring the HP and torque numbers up again sometime in the not-too-distant future.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently rebuilding my LQ4 and have a converter question. I’m putting the BTR truck Norris cam in it and from what I gathered I can use the stock converter? I was thinking of upgrading the converter anyway so what would you all recommend? It’s not going to be towing anything. Just a daily driver with performance on the streets. Preferably something a little more budget friendly. Any input from you fine folks would be great!

What are the grind figures (duration at .050 lift)?

What is the final drive ratio?

What does the cam grinder/manufacturer recommend for stall?

^^^ This. Vehicle weight, engine specs, cam specs, rear gear ratio and driven tire diameter are the key points with trans ratios and intended vehicle use as a close second are what determine your ideal stall speed. All the reputable converter manufacturers have a form you fill out so they can suggest a converter. You don't ask the interwebz then just go tell the pros "gimme a X,*** RPM converter".

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3600? That seems pretty high to me. I don’t know much about stall, but when I did my cam and heads, with the new Performabuilt trans, I went with their recommendation, which was 2800. It’s a triple disc billet, and way overbuilt for my current needs, but hoping to bring the HP and torque numbers up again sometime in the not-too-distant future.
just going off my 3400 stall im my camaro. really wish i went higher. it will only brake stall to 2200, so its not like its loose feeling when driving normal. im also idling at 850 rpm. hwy cruising rpm's are the same as stock was. it will just flash to the rpm rating of the stall. aka 2800, or 3400 when you punch it wot. puts you right into the power band of the cam. most cams got less power under 3k. so you flash past the dead low end rpm and right into the meat and potatoes.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
just going off my 3400 stall im my camaro. really wish i went higher. it will only brake stall to 2200, so its not like its loose feeling when driving normal. im also idling at 850 rpm. hwy cruising rpm's are the same as stock was. it will just flash to the rpm rating of the stall. aka 2800, or 3400 when you punch it wot. puts you right into the power band of the cam. most cams got less power under 3k. so you flash past the dead low end rpm and right into the meat and potatoes.
Sounds like it’s pretty good for your Camaro, but maybe not ideal for a pig like we’re talking about. :cool:

OP
OP
Denalibro76

Denalibro76

Reaction score
^^^ This. Vehicle weight, engine specs, cam specs, rear gear ratio and driven tire diameter are the key points with trans ratios and intended vehicle use as a close second are what determine your ideal stall speed. All the reputable converter manufacturers have a form you fill out so they can suggest a converter. You don't ask the interwebz then just go tell the pros "gimme a X,*** RPM converter".
Sounds like it’s pretty good for your Camaro, but maybe not ideal for a pig like we’re talking about. :cool:
Yeah it’s my Yukon so there’s a bit of weight and AWD. You’ll have to forgive me but transmissions and stalls and what not are something I know nothing about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo