Control arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would imagine that both the PPV & SSV’s do NOT have the aluminum front control arms.

Passenger side lower ball joint is shot, a lot of play in it. My philosophy is once one part wears out the rest are close to it as well.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I would imagine that both the PPV & SSV’s do NOT have the aluminum front control arms.

Passenger side lower ball joint is shot, a lot of play in it. My philosophy is once one part wears out the rest are close to it as well.

I'm 99% sure the PPVs have the aluminum control arms for weight reduction.

The problem I am having is trying to find the aluminum control arms as they evidently stopped making them.

I was thinking of switching over to the aluminum control arms just for GP.

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, is there a difference between the aluminum ones and the steel ones?

PPV is 2wd.

SSV is 4wd

My truck is the SSV, are the arms longer for one and shorter for the other to compensate for the difference in driveline???

I’ve literally got a week to get this done before I’m on a 6day 12 hour shifts thru the end of January.

kbuskill

Reaction score

PPV is 2wd.

SSV is 4wd

My truck is the SSV, are the arms longer for one and shorter for the other to compensate for the difference in driveline???

I’ve literally got a week to get this done before I’m on a 6day 12 hour shifts thru the end of January.

There is no difference in control arms between 2wd and 4wd on these rigs.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could press out your Ball joints and bushings and re-use your arms.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

PPV is 2wd.

SSV is 4wd

@5strmtrp Careful, I believe that the aluminum and steel control arms use different sizes of ball joints so research before you buy.

kbuskill

Reaction score
@5strmtrp Careful, I believe that the aluminum and steel control arms use different sizes of ball joints so research before you buy.

The ball joint shaft that goes through the spindle are the same size.

The part that presses into the control arm itself is different. The aluminum control arms are thicker so the ball joint is thicker.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Do you have steel or aluminum knuckles? If steel (cast iron), you can convert to cast iron lowers from cast aluminum without having to change knuckles. I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTN_KDA