Constant ticking @ top of engine... lifter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
The important details...

11 Yukon XL Denali, 184k
Oil just changed a week ago @ 184k, Valvoline HMFS 5w30, Mobil1 filter; oil level was normal when I checked it
No CEL or misfires
Tapping sounds rougher under acceleration; engine sounds normal otherwise
Oil pressure gauge reading about 30 at idle

Best case scenario is that I bought a bad oil filter which is affecting oil delivery (Google diagnosis), but I'm prepared for anything. LMK what y'all think.

Video of the sound:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The important details...

11 Yukon XL Denali, 184k
Oil just changed a week ago @ 184k, Valvoline HMFS 5w30, Mobil1 filter; oil level was normal when I checked it
No CEL or misfires
Tapping sounds rougher under acceleration; engine sounds normal otherwise
Oil pressure gauge reading about 30 at idle

Best case scenario is that I bought a bad oil filter which is affecting oil delivery (Google diagnosis), but I'm prepared for anything. LMK what y'all think.

Video of the sound:

Could be any number of things. Get a mechanic's stethoscope or a long extension and stick one end in your ear and move the other end around the engine bay to isolate the sound.

My exhaust leak sounded like that. Gasket blew at #2 and sounded like the motor was coming apart.

Those M1 oil filters lowered my oil pressure about 2-3 psi compared to the ACDelco and the K&Ns.

OP
OP
P
Reaction score
Could be any number of things. Get a mechanic's stethoscope or a long extension and stick one end in your ear and move the other end around the engine bay to isolate the sound.

My exhaust leak sounded like that. Gasket blew at #2 and sounded like the motor was coming apart.

Those M1 oil filters lowered my oil pressure about 2-3 psi compared to the ACDelco and the K&Ns.
The exhaust leak is interesting... I always thought that those came and went depending on the engine temp. My engine makes this same sound from start to off. But I'll look into it, as well as the other stuff.

I never had a problem with M1 filters before, but I'll swap it and see what happens, if anything.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The exhaust leak is interesting... I always thought that those came and went depending on the engine temp. My engine makes this same sound from start to off. But I'll look into it, as well as the other stuff.

I never had a problem with M1 filters before, but I'll swap it and see what happens, if anything.
Regarding the filters, I didn't either, just noticed the slightly lower pressure. Wasn't a problem, just disconcerting to me.

Yeah, my leak was kinda rare as exhaust leaks go until I came across a video on youtube with the same clacking and the repair confirmed it. But you never know until you get in there to be sure!

OP
OP
P
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Took the truck to the shop annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd apparently my engine is shot and should be replaced. According to the shop owner, there's bottom-end wear as well besides the valvetrain noises.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Took the truck to the shop annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd apparently my engine is shot and should be replaced. According to the shop owner, there's bottom-end wear as well besides the valvetrain noises.
Ummm...no. At worst, that's a collapsed lifter. Time to get a 2nd opinion. The frequency of the tick is at the same speed as camshaft rotation. I hear no other sounds that would indicate problems with the bottom end.

OP
OP
P
Reaction score
Ummm...no. At worst, that's a collapsed lifter. Time to get a 2nd opinion. The frequency of the tick is at the same speed as camshaft rotation. I hear no other sounds that would indicate problems with the bottom end.
I have to admit I was skeptical, especially since he told me there was no oil in the engine (which would be weird since I changed filters and topped off the oil yesterday).
I'm about to stop by there in a few minutes and find out everything they say they found out.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to admit I was skeptical, especially since he told me there was no oil in the engine (which would be weird since I changed filters and topped off the oil yesterday).
I'm about to stop by there in a few minutes and find out everything they say they found out.
Well that's a curious development. Please do let us know what you find vis-a-vis oil in the engine when you get there.

Based on your video though, I agree with @donjetman's opinion about the probable causes:
1/ Stuck lifter
2/ Bent pushrod
3/ Bad/loose rocker bearing
4/ Exhaust leak on a single cylinder (per James)

A broken valve spring is a possibility also, but I would expect other sounds and problems to go with that. Usually (but not always), a broken valve spring = dropped valve.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu