Considering a Hybrid. Am I crazy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would a low(ish) mileage hybrid be a good choice for a DD?
Looking for anyone who has real world experience on reliability on these

thanks!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

thanks!

As they get up in age, maintenance seems to cost more than the extra fuel. I heard that GM no longer makes many of the Hybrid specific parts for them as well, like the whole transmission.

@RebelBelle Gene daily drives one over a hundred miles each way to work and back. He might check in here, been pretty busy because of the Wuhan Flu.

Brett?

Couple of other guys have come on here with AFM issues and two that I recall with transmission problems.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score

thanks!
the most likely fails is the battery or the transmission AUX pump..
(suggest a 2010-2013 as they "fixed" the aux pump)
once the battery fails the gas mile drops and stuff like the A/C will not work correctly...

i was getting 23CITY /27HYW, it has dropped to 18.5/23 (dropped because of the hot summer*) it might go back to normal in the winter but who knows...

*Note it's been 105-110F lately

the transmission is rock solid these tend to last as it has a good cooling setup I have not seen above 175F even though its been 110F outside..

greenbean has a battery with unlimited warranty
for $2549..(as long as you own the SUV)

all ready saved $1,600 in fuel costs over the normal tahoe.. over 15k miles

get a
2013 Toyota Venza much more reliable quite inexpensive as well

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am more than used to considering a new or reman battery as I have own plenty of used e.v
I just see it as part of the total price

thanks everyone for the info

Marc Marc

Reaction score
I am at 193,000 miles with my 2013 and going strong. Went to look at a new 2020 model XL last weekend, and despite a good price decided to stick with what I have. The interior is much nicer on mine than the new Denali's.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO NO way that a GM TwoMode Hybrid would be my DD unless I had a backup vehicle sitting there ready to go (Yes I do)
On my latest GM TwoMode issue I was informed by the dealer that the ABS system is now obsolete and unavailable. Salvage Parts seem to be readily available for right now but that will dry up in the future. I guess the way to look at is, if you buy it cheap enough that it is basically disposable and have low expectations plus have a backup vehicle ready to go then yes GITUSUM. To me the technology is fascinating, I still am not tired of looking at the twomode screen after almost 2 years and +35k of driving this 09 Tahoe Hybrid with +230k on odometer. No regrets at my 6600 purchase price a few years back even with all the nuisance problems, the silly thing still garners positive comments from people about the way it looks and I LIKE driving it LOL. 09 Tahoe zeke.jpg

lt1gmc

Reaction score
I've a 09 Yukon Hybrid at 200,000 plus miles and a 13 Yukon Denali Hybrid at 113,000 miles. Changed the battery on the 09 at 190,000 using a new GM battery. No other hybrid issues on either other than a lurch issue on the 09 that ended up being a bad wiring connector to the aux trans pump. I'd drive either anywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17

Latest posts