Compnine is back online!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hooray! It's back!

Compnine VIN Decoder

A few years ago, Compnine was where you could enter in your VIN and it would pull up all sorts of data about the vehicle... all the RPOs that GM installed, and, all the statistics about how many other trucks were made exactly like it. And it was totally free.

For example, I have a YukonXL 2500... which is relatively rare compared to the number of Yukons, Yukon Denali's, YukonXL Denali's that are all of the 1500 weight class variety. But rarer still, my 2500 YukonXL has AutoTrack Manually and Automatically Selectable Four Wheel Drive (not the all the time All Wheel Drive in Denali and 1/2 tons). Being a 3/4 ton, my YukonXL has the 4L80e transmission instead of the more common 4L60e. And finally, my rig also has Quadrasteer. Pretty rare bird, eh?

Well, when I went on Compnine a few years ago (before they shut down, inexplicably?) I put in my VIN, and I still found that there were over 5,000 YukonXLs built like mine... with Quadrasteer. Suddenly, I didn't feel so darn unique anymore. But it was interesting factual data to have... because I know now that somewhere out there I might find a part in a junkyard that can fix my truck if necessary, because I plan to keep mine running until the wheels fall off.

Anyway, those who have used this VIN decoding resource before know what I'm talking about... and would probably welcome the news, but for one thing. This time it isn't totally free anymore. It can be, because there is a free week trial, which is plenty of time to check the original build data of all the VINs in your possession. But after the trial, they want a minimum of $5 bucks a month... for 50 VINs a month. Who has 50 VINs a month to check?

I guess insurance companies do. And used car dealers. Compnine explains that is the reason for their service. Back when it was up and running before, there was no explanation at all for why (or how... with no revenue) they existed, so the insurance and used car and salvage yard explanation makes sense. Whatever works, as long as the resource is available to us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mazer16