Complete suspension replacement and leveling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...I thought I saw that the Bilsteins came with the spring seat, good to know!
Soo according to the instructions they are supposed to use the old lower spring seat from the factory strut. I am having a dealership install mine for the peace of mind that they HOPEFULLY know how to do this properly.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is funny. LOL !!!!!!
2 months ago the Caddy dealer put 8 qts of oil in my 2011 Essy. I ripped them a new A-hole.
Hopefully one day I'll be able to do this work myself but I don't have the time, space, or tools. Getting my own house will be a life changer, then I can work on the tool collection.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Matt, someone beat me to it. I use Amazon all the time for free shipping when I can find the EXACT same part there than at RA.

Dustin, good luck with the house. When it comes to a tool collection, remember, that if you don't make your living with them you can get sets at great prices at Home Depot and other places that will have tools for a great price and will be fine for the "every now and then" use at home. You can get specialty tools as needed and even rent them as well.

Good luck to the both of you.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
At 167k what do your ball joints and control arms look like I would think they are more worn out than shocks and springs. I replaced my upper and lowers on both sides around 145k.

If you are not any heavier than stock up front I would go with the Rancho coil overs you just bolt them up no disassembly of the old ones plus it will level it out for you too.

For the rear if you are towing a lot then heavier springs would be OK. Or put in an air bag on so it will only be stiffer when you need it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bizzo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
At 167k what do your ball joints and control arms look like I would think they are more worn out than shocks and springs. I replaced my upper and lowers on both sides around 145k.

If you are not any heavier than stock up front I would go with the Rancho coil overs you just bolt them up no disassembly of the old ones plus it will level it out for you too.

For the rear if you are towing a lot then heavier springs would be OK. Or put in an air bag on so it will only be stiffer when you need it.

Balljoints and control arms all look great my guess is they were replaced before I took ownership. This thing has a carfax service history a mile long. I'm not a big fan of the ride quality of rancho's and bilstein doesn't make a quickstrut for this application that I know of...

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
Balljoints and control arms all look great my guess is they were replaced before I took ownership. This thing has a carfax service history a mile long. I'm not a big fan of the ride quality of rancho's and bilstein doesn't make a quickstrut for this application that I know of...

While Ranchos were better than stock they certainly do not stack up to the Kings I have now.

OP
OP
B

Bizzo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
While Ranchos were better than stock they certainly do not stack up to the Kings I have now.

I had them in a 2016 Silverado Z71 and while they weren't awful I didn't think they lived up to the hype. Maybe their quickstrut offerings are different but I'm not sure I'm willing to take the risk and end up hating them, I'd prefer to do this job and not have to touch it for at least 50k miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE