Complete suspension replacement and leveling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bizzo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

I've been lurking on here for a few months now. I have a 2009 Tahoe LT with 167k that I'm looking to do a complete suspension overhaul on. While I'm at it I want to level the front. Looking for your experienced opinions on the parts I'm choosing to do this with. For struts and shocks I'm going to go with the Bilstein 5100's on all 4 corners. For coil springs I'm going with the Moog heavy duty springs front and back, anyone have experience with these? How are the ride quality? I don't mind a little stiff as I'm used to driving trucks but I don't want it to be bone jarring stiff. I figured heavy duty would be a good option since I do some towing with the Tahoe. I'm also ordering new ac delco strut mounts for the front. Will that be all I need to completely redo the front struts? Being that it has 167k and appears to be original suspension I would like to replace everything with new. I'm going to set the Bilstein's to give me the maximum lift, will I need to do anything with the brake lines or swaybar links to do the increased height in the front? I appreciate any assistance you guys can offer. I'm excited to get this thing leveled and riding good again.

-Matt

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

I've been lurking on here for a few months now. I have a 2009 Tahoe LT with 167k that I'm looking to do a complete suspension overhaul on. While I'm at it I want to level the front. Looking for your experienced opinions on the parts I'm choosing to do this with. For struts and shocks I'm going to go with the Bilstein 5100's on all 4 corners. For coil springs I'm going with the Moog heavy duty springs front and back, anyone have experience with these? How are the ride quality? I don't mind a little stiff as I'm used to driving trucks but I don't want it to be bone jarring stiff. I figured heavy duty would be a good option since I do some towing with the Tahoe. I'm also ordering new ac delco strut mounts for the front. Will that be all I need to completely redo the front struts? Being that it has 167k and appears to be original suspension I would like to replace everything with new. I'm going to set the Bilstein's to give me the maximum lift, will I need to do anything with the brake lines or swaybar links to do the increased height in the front? I appreciate any assistance you guys can offer. I'm excited to get this thing leveled and riding good again.

-Matt

Matt, my preference whenever possible is to use GM OE parts which in some cases are different from ACDelco Professional. This certainly applies to the shocks, springs and control arms and ball joints. ACDelco control arms are Moog and are about $300 while GM OE are about $600.

What rear suspension does your Tahoe have?

OP
OP
B

Bizzo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Matt, my preference whenever possible is to use GM OE parts which in some cases are different from ACDelco Professional. This certainly applies to the shocks, springs and control arms and ball joints. ACDelco control arms are Moog and are about $300 while GM OE are about $600.

What rear suspension does your Tahoe have?

I like OEM parts as well, but I think in this case the Bilstein's are better than OEM in terms of quality and ride. My rear suspension is just the normal coil spring and shock no fancy auto leveling or anything like that.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like OEM parts as well, but I think in this case the Bilstein's are better than OEM in terms of quality and ride. My rear suspension is just the normal coil spring and shock no fancy auto leveling or anything like that.

I agree but not sure how long they will last. My truck still has its original ZW7 suspension like yours.

Last edited:

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

-Matt
I am doing the same with my rig, bilstein 5100s, moog 81244 springs in front, moog 81069 springs in the back. Just waiting for parts to come in right now.

OP
OP
B

Bizzo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am doing the same with my rig, bilstein 5100s, moog 81244 springs in front, moog 81069 springs in the back. Just waiting for parts to come in right now.

That's cool, where did you order from? I've got it all in a cart at Rock Auto but man the shipping cost is killing me. I'm probably going to pull the trigger in the next day or so. Would like to get it all installed while I'm not needing to drive the truck due to Covid-19.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's cool, where did you order from? I've got it all in a cart at Rock Auto but man the shipping cost is killing me. I'm probably going to pull the trigger in the next day or so. Would like to get it all installed while I'm not needing to drive the truck due to Covid-19.
I ordered from Amazon, I have some parts already but the rear spring insulators aren't coming until the second week of May so I might get some from the dealership because I do not want to wait. It's hard to tell how much I spent because Amazon split my orders up but I think it was about $700 shipped for everything

OP
OP
B

Bizzo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
One more question for everybody, am I missing anything in my parts list if I want to do a complete strut replacement in the front?

So far I have:
  • coil spring Moog 81244
  • strut - Bilstein B8 5100
  • strut mount - AC Delco 901075
For the rear I have:
  • coil spring Moog 81069
  • coil spring insulator Moog K160072
  • shock - Bilstein B8 5100
Am I missing anything? I want to make sure I have everything before I start tearing it apart. Thanks!

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more question for everybody, am I missing anything in my parts list if I want to do a complete strut replacement in the front?

So far I have:
  • coil spring Moog 81244
  • strut - Bilstein B8 5100
  • strut mount - AC Delco 901075
For the rear I have:
  • coil spring Moog 81069
  • coil spring insulator Moog K160072
  • shock - Bilstein B8 5100
Am I missing anything? I want to make sure I have everything before I start tearing it apart. Thanks!
Only thing I am unsure about is the lower spring perch/mount/seat for the front struts. Some places say to use the factory one but some people say the factory one is welded to the factory strut so I'm not sure.

Also I didn't buy new upper strut mount for the front, I was planning on using the factory ones, hopefully that wasn't a mistake.

While I was typing this my front struts came in and I can confirm that they didn't come with anything for the spring to sit on.

OP
OP
B

Bizzo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Only thing I am unsure about is the lower spring perch/mount/seat for the front struts. Some places say to use the factory one but some people say the factory one is welded to the factory strut so I'm not sure.

Also I didn't buy new upper strut mount for the front, I was planning on using the factory ones, hopefully that wasn't a mistake.

While I was typing this my front struts came in and I can confirm that they didn't come with anything for the spring to sit on.

Hmmm...I thought I saw that the Bilsteins came with the spring seat, good to know!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy