Complete Dash Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JonnyTahoe

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sure did. Is much easier than one might think. Hardest part is removing the top of the dash as its quite fragile. rest is a lot of work but a breeze.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
I'm thinking of putting my dark grey dash from my Tahoe into my Texas Yukon which has the tan interior. I was hoping the entire dash could be removed as one unit. Thanks Matt for the info.

Mezzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I recall, isn't there some hidden bolts when you do remove the cover? You have to really look for them.....I think.

Just did this last week,if memory serves, 1 bolt behind both air vents around the passenger side air bag,2 bolts behind were the fuse panel woulsd be on driver side and 2 on passenger,and I think like 3 or 4 around instrument cluster behind the bezel

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine came appart in a few pieces. I couldnt see how to take it apart as one piece.

- top cover and bottom stuff (knee bolster, glove box, console area
- there vents set on top with electronics. a few bolts hold the vents on then they come out.
- there is a skeleton everything hangs on... there are bolts on A pillars that hold that and one behind console area
-there is a structural brace... I didn't disasseble any more.. the brace would require removing the steering column. It has some alluminum? parts acting as fixtures to hold other parts. Behind it is air handler for HVAC as well.

I did disconnect harness. and push through firewall. That unscrews from botton of engine compartment fuse block

this is all quite abreviated and missing all the nuances.

Can easily put back together. Everything only goes one way. Kind of assumes you are comfortable doing this sort of thing. I have confidence anybody could do it. However is probably a 8 out of 10 in difficulty. Simply because there are a LOT of things you will take apart. I could probably do it in a day though. especially because I did it before.

That said the factory service manual doesn't even go into this level of detail (at least I couldnt find anything on it in there)

OP
OP
JonnyTahoe

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine came appart in a few pieces. I couldnt see how to take it apart as one piece.

- top cover and bottom stuff (knee bolster, glove box, console area
- there vents set on top with electronics. a few bolts hold the vents on then they come out.
- there is a skeleton everything hangs on... there are bolts on A pillars that hold that and one behind console area
-there is a structural brace... I didn't disasseble any more.. the brace would require removing the steering column. It has some alluminum? parts acting as fixtures to hold other parts. Behind it is air handler for HVAC as well.

I did disconnect harness. and push through firewall. That unscrews from botton of engine compartment fuse block

this is all quite abreviated and missing all the nuances.

Can easily put back together. Everything only goes one way. Kind of assumes you are comfortable doing this sort of thing. I have confidence anybody could do it. However is probably a 8 out of 10 in difficulty. Simply because there are a LOT of things you will take apart. I could probably do it in a day though. especially because I did it before.

That said the factory service manual doesn't even go into this level of detail (at least I couldnt find anything on it in there)

Thanks for a good detailed run down of what is all involved. I have seen assembly line videos of the entire dash going in as one complete unit and assumed it comes out as one complete unit. after reading your post about what it takes to remove it I think I will just live with my tan interior. If it takes the better part of a day that's all I needed to know thanks again.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cover itself takes about a half hour to remove, maybe an hour if you go real slow. That’s what I’m assuming you mean by removing the “entire dash” if you just want to swap colors. I removed mine, stripped, painted and reinstalled it in one day. It’s not hard at all. The NNBS dashes are way more difficult and easier to break. I have also removed the substructure on my NNBS but not on my NBS. Here’s a how-to for the NBS. https://www.gmfullsize.com/threads/how-to-take-out-dash-nbs.53667/

OP
OP
JonnyTahoe

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cover itself takes about a half hour to remove, maybe an hour if you go real slow. That’s what I’m assuming you mean by removing the “entire dash” if you just want to swap colors. I removed mine, stripped, painted and reinstalled it in one day. It’s not hard at all. The NNBS dashes are way more difficult and easier to break. I have also removed the substructure on my NNBS but not on my NBS. Here’s a how-to for the NBS. https://www.gmfullsize.com/threads/how-to-take-out-dash-nbs.53667/
I didn't realize the pad and other color parts all come off separate from the Structure itself. just want to change the pad and all the tan stuff. That I can probably handle. Thanks for all the great info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz