Coming off lease- what would you do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m coming off lease this October.
I’ve enjoyed the Denali. I’ve actually recently had it ceramic coated, Blackbear tune, new tires, exhaust, intake, and vinyl wrapped the chrome. I’ve done all this with the intentions to purchase the truck.
The residual is $42k. Nada has a retail value of around $50k.
However just recently I’ve started to feel the shudder/vibration many have mentioned. It happens at around 30 mph and I’ve felt it also at 50mph. Switching to manual 7 does not get rid of it.
The tranny has been suspicious since day one. I’ve had the slam into low gear while slowing, the loud clunk from the torque converter going downhill, and it always lurches into drive after a slight delay coming out of reverse when cold.
Are these trucks covered by an extended power train warranty? I currently have 38k miles on it.
I could simply turn it back in in 2 months. But there is honestly nothing else out there that interests me or does what the XL can. Plus I’m not interested in entering into another lease on a $90k suv.
Actually I lied...I do like the new Durango SRT. But my wife thinks they are hideous. [emoji46]

If the tranny does go out is it covered by a special extended warranty? I had a taillight go out and it was covered because it was known as an existing problem.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve enjoyed the Denali. I’ve actually recently had it ceramic coated, Blackbear tune, new tires, exhaust, intake, and vinyl wrapped the chrome. I’ve done all this with the intentions to purchase the truck.
However just recently I’ve started to feel the shudder/vibration many have mentioned. It happens at around 30 mph and I’ve felt it also at 50mph. Switching to manual 7 does not get rid of it.
The tranny has been suspicious since day one. I’ve had the slam into low gear while slowing, the loud clunk from the torque converter going downhill, and it always lurches into drive after a slight delay coming out of reverse when cold.
Are these trucks covered by an extended power train warranty? I currently have 38k miles on it.
I could simply turn it back in in 2 months. But there is honestly nothing else out there that interests me or does what the XL can. Plus I’m not interested in entering into another lease on a $90k suv.
Actually I lied...I do like the new Durango SRT. But my wife thinks they are hideous. [emoji46]

If the tranny does go out is it covered by a special extended warranty? I had a taillight go out and it was covered because it was known as an existing problem.

Thoughts?

Assume your Denali XL is a 2015? Also if you turn it back in do you have to remove all the mods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Shadow17

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assume your Denali XL is a 2015? Also if you turn it back in do you have to remove all the mods?

Yes. 2015i
I saved the oe intake. I don’t think the exhaust would be that noticeable. In the past they never drove the vehicles upon inspection. Only start up.
I’d remove the tune also.

I also looked at a Grand Cherokee SRT. But they are so darn small. Especially loaded with 6 adults.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think you’re existing powertrain warranty would cover an 8L90E replacement with having your BBP tune(assume AutoCal)? Removed or not...

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a 2015 or 2015i you are covered for 5yr/100,000miles power train unless your tune becomes an issue

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thoughts?

Wow is your car in bad shape or looks too bad.
I got 42 k with 69,000 miles why your is too low compared with my previous, just a simple question.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Shadow17

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow is your car in bad shape or looks too bad.
I got 42 k with 69,000 miles why your is too low compared with my previous, just a simple question.

I’m not sure what you mean by this. My buy out is $42k.
Nada says the truck is worth $50k.
It’s in great condition.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s in great condition.

Ok, I thought you said 42k.[emoji106]

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s in great condition.

For those reasons and the fact that you said there is nothing else on the market with the capability of the XL Denali I would definitely keep buy it. That's a great deal and you know where its been.

Plus, in a little over a year the newly redesigned 2020's will be available and maybe that will peak your interest. You can keep your current Denali and then plan on upgrading it in 2020 or the second model year 2021.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
If you have the trans trend covered by some kind of Warr it’d be best to keep it until you can see what’s cooking with the new model year line ups. With engine shut off at idle coming, be weary.

One of our Co cars was a MBZ CLA. It has the engine shut off at standing stop. It drove me kray kray because I’d forget it was equipped and reach for a key when I woke up for a green light. The key was in my pocket since it had keyless ignition. I’m sure it looked strange seeing me grab for the ignition key that wasn’t there like I was jonesing on shrooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019