Coil Over Conversion Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to see you did this!! It makes me kinda mad I sold my truck because this looks like a great option to get the ride back.

I saw you sold it & picked up a silverado. Still very nice. I have contenplated doing that, but for a 2014 sierra.

This is so sweet. Thank you sir for getting her done! We run the same size tire amd I want the exact stance. I will just copy everything lol!

No problem, I could not stand the ride anymore, figured if i was going to do an overhaul, why not do it better and also be a guinea pig, ha ha.

Come on & copy it, No problem here. Actually take that as a compliment. PM me if you need any further information to copy it.

Mike I'm gonna bite the bullet and do this when are you gonna have time to do the intstall?

Well Sir, I dont know how to weld, nor do i want to cut someone elses frame section. But other wise not a problem. lol

So with those rs702 shocks, you have to convert the stud top to the eye right? With your 5305 springs, do you run shock extenders too?

Yes, convert the stud to a eyelet - (will get part #) No shock ext. I took them off b/c i called QA1 (real nice guys) and gave him my height measurement and he suggested the RS702's as they are the correct shock for my height. Actually it lowered the rear just a tad. You could use shock ext, but as QA1 told me, you are not gaining anything, only a longer shock, but not more travel, (forgot the reason, but it basically cancels itself out if you order the right shock to begin with) and not to mention when lower that extension is pretty close to the ground.

another question... if we think the stock shock mount is probably strong enough, what about the shock mount on my djm lca's? I looked under there the other day, and they're not exactly bombproof, but they also shouldn't really have any side to side stress, so im wondering if (and hoping) the mount on these arms is sufficient to support the weight as well. Then I wouldnt need to buy and install new lca's and this would be a super easy swap

I do not know about DJM LCA, i know atomic only suggests factory. I did not search for that combination in my research, nor did i come across anyone. Looking at pictures i have seen, i would do as suggest by others. Weld a plate or something to reinforce the shock mounting area. i think others have spoken better than i could on that.

Idk glad tahoewhat did the conversion I'm gonna do once I have the cake.
Billy

:driver: Im glad i bit the bullet and did it as well.

i got under there tonight and gave it a real good look and the djm lower mount is really pretty beefy from what i can tell. i really think it would hold up just fine as is. i also read through the whole thread on PT.net and that guy used his stock upper mount for 10k then sold the truck and the new owner reported 20k miles with zero issues whatsoever, so i'm thinking it has definitely held up to the test of time with just the procomp adapter

now im thinking all i need are the shocks and springs up front and may just go ahead and do the adustable bars with shocks and springs in the rear too

As Atomic said, i forgot that guy had a 2500 and belive the frame is beefier than ours, but try it out and let us know if it works alright. I really think it would, but have read some comments that said it started deforming over time. So i dont know. To me this whole setup is custom and with a custom setup comes its share of problems and solutions. I just went the way I saw was a tried and true method for the time being used.

Hey man, have you thought about equipping the rear with coil over suspension? I think it would be a pretty simple bolt up. You could set rear height and just measure for correct shock and spring and it would prob ride really nice. Just a thought.
Billy.

Tahoewhat~ log any more DD. :driver:

Not sure who you are speaking to, but yes I have thought about a coil over setup for ther rear, but think it would be more involved. There is a thread speaking about doing it though on here. I think.
And yep about 40 miles today. trying to make a reply below this one so its by itself. Will make one on the first page.

well ****. Thought I had it all figured out
I thought about it, but have read that it would require beefier shock mounts and wouldnt really help things back there... but idk why not, coilovers seem like the best overall ride there is

Ok, maybe you two are speaking with eachother, Way too many quotes to keep up with. lol. I think coil overs would be awesome on all 4 corners. But with adjustable shocks right now on mine, i can fine tune the ride, so im very happy right now. lol

Sorry for the color, but had to use something different to differ my response.

Check out first post and scroll down to right above pictures for a Video. Try that with your Tahoe! lol

Last edited:

Bomba02

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Check out first post and scroll down to right above pictures for a Video. Try that with your Tahoe! lol

Just watched video! That's awesome and I can't do that with my truck.
JEALOUS!! Thanks for all the info bro.
Billy

OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just watched video! That's awesome and I can't do that with my truck. JEALOUS!! Thanks for all the info bro. Billy

ha ha. Did not think so. lol. You too can bounce like me one day. ha ha ..

Your brothers grin while bouncing on your truck is hysterical lol

Ha ha ha... yeah he was kind of confused at what i was doing. He had not seen / rode in it yet. that is his expression when he bounced. lol.

Today 50 more Miles put on
Ride is awesome still. Went same route as always have been to work, which by the way is not the best. But ride was great, smooth and very soft. Shocks at setting 10 out of 18. So not too soft, but firm. Going over bumps i normally cringe, today i slowly went and did not even feel them. Just a soft absorption. Also at work, we have installed speed bumps, before those were my Mortal Enemy, back end would literally hop over them and the front did not fear much better. So i purposely went over them today and WOW, it took it like a champ. Just like being in a unmodded tahoe, (got in one at work at tried it) actually felt better than a stock tahoe.

Freeway driving was just as great. Normal bumps would make the rear jump and the front as well. Not anymore, now it just floats over the bumps, unless of course they are major ones, but even then it faired great. I could drink a soda and not spill it all over now. Driving it a few times my mind wondered and forgot i was driving a lowered tahoe and not some stock suv w/ great suspension. lol.

** For those with drop spindles -- You will understand this more so than others. This could be my imagination, but dont think so. I can turn like regular now. No more 15 turns to pull out of a tight spot. In fact parking at school today i went to park like normal and actually parked in the spot next to me halfway b/c it turned so much better than it had before. I know this sounds crazy, but it did. Cornering is not even more precise, greater handling, I can feel more (if that makes sense), turning (not necessarily radius) has somehow got better w/ the coil overs w/ drop spindles. This one i really cant explain, it just flat out will turn better and handle better.

One quote i thought of on the way home to explain the change.
"It used to feel like a solid axle on the front and now it feels like i have independent front suspension"

--Going to try to get a mod to make me a space below my op for review updates, if possible.--

Last edited:

04blackout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to be the guinea pig for not reinforcing the shock mounts, but im nervous bc I dd this thing pretty hard and haul my family too. Dont really want a catastrophic failure so ill probably just end up going the tried and true route. No sense in forking out the money to go coilovers and cutting corners on safety

OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love to be the guinea pig for not reinforcing the shock mounts, but im nervous bc I dd this thing pretty hard and haul my family too. Dont really want a catastrophic failure so ill probably just end up going the tried and true route. No sense in forking out the money to go coilovers and cutting corners on safety

Well if its any consolation, i drive my tahoe. It is my daily and i do not baby it. I do not thrash on it either, if that makes sense. I usually only have one other person with me, but i felt putting the bracket just was for a piece of mind, since i do drive it everyday and everywhere. I.E. I do not slam on my brakes to cross a Rail road track, i don't jump it either, but if you have been to TX you know how we drive here and how the roads are always being worked on and "patched" up. I.E. dirt thrown into a hole.

In a quest to go lower it really will not hamper you, if you want that low, then bag it, would be my suggestion. But if you are like me and just want that nice stance,then i am very happy where i am and with the ride still. With kids and family i would do it for safety if you plan on keeping it for quite some time. Or another option, just do it without the bracket & rack up some miles, but keeping an eye on the mounts and see how it goes. That is what i was honestly going to do, till it just slipped by.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck man, should have just cut the shocks off all together and welded the axles straight to the frame and saved yourself the time and money on it all!! ahhahaha JK punk, nice writeup!

04blackout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is my daily and i do not baby it. I do not thrash on it either, if that makes sense

In a quest to go lower it really will not hamper you, if you want that low, then bag it, would be my suggestion. But if you are like me and just want that nice stance,then i am very happy where i am and with the ride still. With kids and family i would do it for safety if you plan on keeping it for quite some time. Or another option, just do it without the bracket & rack up some miles, but keeping an eye on the mounts and see how it goes. That is what i was honestly going to do, till it just slipped by.

Makes perfect sense, and thats a great description of my driving style too

Ive been really studying the mounts and doing alot of online browsing and given the fact that ridetech uses the factory upper with their shockwave airbag system, im thinking it is worth a try. Also seems that if shit starts to deform I just have it welded back on with the reinforcement and should be good to go

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes perfect sense, and thats a great description of my driving style too

Ive been really studying the mounts and doing alot of online browsing and given the fact that ridetech uses the factory upper with their shockwave airbag system, im thinking it is worth a try. Also seems that if shit starts to deform I just have it welded back on with the reinforcement and should be good to go

That sounds like the way to go. I mean you arent baja racing the thing so as long as you keep and eye on it I think it will be fine. If ridetech uses it then it shouldnt be a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redoak76