Coil Over Conversion Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04blackout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, swap out those djm arms for the stockers and make the swap easier. I bet you could get a quick turnaround selling the djm arms on here. :)

Really just trying to avoid dismantling the whole front end again if I can help it. Even if I had to weld on the djm's it would be easier than replacing the arms

Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the swap at the same time that way you can just remove the Tbars completely. After that its just the two bolts on the frame and the lower ball joint. :)

OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike... All I have to say is way to go!

Thanks man.

Makes perfect sense, and thats a great description of my driving style too

Your on par with me then. lol

Just when I start feeling good about something I get second guessed
=|

Stop second guessing and do it. Weld on some brackets or something. Or better yet, post a picture b/c honestly i have no idea what the LCA's look like. I dont mind it in my thread might help others out.

I know a guy that makes a 3/8" steel bracket that fits perfectly right there if you want to weld it on...

ha ha... I might have an idea of someone as well. lol

I still say it would easier to cut off the lower shock mount off the DJM arms and fab up a new lower shock mount from 3/8 or 1/2 mild steel, as opposed to trying to brace the stock one. Plus the arms are powdercoated so you will have to grind off all the existing powdercoat to get any kind of decent *********** with the welds.

Mike

I still agree with Mike on the LCA's though. From what i can remember on those, i personally would not feel comfortable doing this w/ them on. I would weld some sort of reinforcement on them. I think i have a link saved where a guy did that. Cut the bracket off or welded another plate on it. It was using coil overs as well, but not sure if it was a truck 2500 or suv lca.

As you said, don't really want to do it over and over again, which i agree. Do it right the first time is my motto. If its possible to do.

What is your setup?

But post a picture up if possible of yours or something similiar.

And just a FYI, the 2nd post in this thread i am making my reviews and mileage marks for everyone.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
your old set up in front you had spindles/keys?

04blackout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok once again, im looking at the procomp adapters for the upper and they are no bigger than the shock tabs on my djm arms. So why would the lowers need to be 1/2" steel if the uppers arent that big? Maybe im missing something but they both support the same weight right?

Im just trying to explore options for guys with aftermarket lca's

M Hankel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok once again, im looking at the procomp adapters for the upper and they are no bigger than the shock tabs on my djm arms. So why would the lowers need to be 1/2" steel if the uppers arent that big? Maybe im missing something but they both support the same weight right?

Im just trying to explore options for guys with aftermarket lca's

For me its about the lateral forces being applied. For the upper mount, all the force looks to be straight in-line with the shock body. If you look at the lower mount and how the shock is tilted at an angle compared to the lower mount, there are lateral forces being applied to it. To me it looks like a 1200 pound per square inch spring would fold that DJM shock mount right over toward the spindle. I could be wrong but I tend to error on the safe side when it comes to this kind of thing.

I could draft up a simple design for a new lower mount and try posting it up here. Would be very easy to fabricate.

Mike

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

OK here is VERY quick draft of how I would do mine. This is looking from the front of the vehicle and again, very quick draft but I think you get the idea. I was drawing from memory of what a DJM arm looks like.

DJMSHOCKMOUNTModel1_zps4c710b0e.jpg

Mike

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
ive already done 04chases truck years ago helped him set it up. All you need to do is weld a l bracket on both sides of the djm shock mount and drill ahole thru and there are no issues with the djm a arms.

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

Tahoewhat was your truck spindles/keys before you went with this set up?

04blackout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me its about the lateral forces being applied. For the upper mount, all the force looks to be straight in-line with the shock body. If you look at the lower mount and how the shock is tilted at an angle compared to the lower mount, there are lateral forces being applied to it. To me it looks like a 1200 pound per square inch spring would fold that DJM shock mount right over toward the spindle. I could be wrong but I tend to error on the safe side when it comes to this kind of thing.

this is the answer i was looking for. thanks mike, that makes alot of sense now that you put it that way. i never considered the lateral force acting on the mounts, thats why i couldnt understand it

nice picture too, that gives me a pretty good idea of what im shooting for here. im determined to make this work one way or another

OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your old set up in front you had spindles/keys?

Yes, Mc Gaughy's drop spindles & 3/4 keys. Drop spindles still in, only took out keys and torsion bars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reveita42