Coil Over Conversion Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mharders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great job man, Awesome write up and upgrade/mod! I definitely want to do this after I do my front end rebuild and install my spindles. You recommend doing the top mount (atomics)?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great job man, Awesome write up and upgrade/mod! I definitely want to do this after I do my front end rebuild and install my spindles. You recommend doing the top mount (atomics)?

Thanks appreciate the kind words.

The top bracket? Me & my friend went back and forth on it. Was going to just use the pro comp adapter bolted straight to the spring perch, but got too involved with the setup that did not even try it out. Just put plate and welded it on. lol. It is really only a reinforcement plate.

Would I recommend it, yes, because for me being so low and being a daily driver i feel more confident with the shocks having that extra support and the bracket is only about 3/8 thick i believe, which is not much. So even if trying to go lower or higher its not that much.

The frame at that point is not that weak, honestly.

Doing this at the same time as the front end rebuild is the best time since your there.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what was the issue of going with the stud mount for the top of the shock? were there fears of the stud breaking? the rubber bushing failing? or something else all together? I have been thinking of going this route on my Denali and using urethane bushings on the top mount. My truck is also not lowered and doesn't plan to be.

OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what was the issue of going with the stud mount for the top of the shock? were there fears of the stud breaking? the rubber bushing failing? or something else all together? I have been thinking of going this route on my Denali and using urethane bushings on the top mount. My truck is also not lowered and doesn't plan to be.

This guys thread on the install on PT.net is a really good one. He has helped me as well. http://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...ect-charlie-murphy-489579/page25/#post5164536

Go to post # 244. He has pictures of the bushings. I have been following his thread before i purchased anything and asked questions. He even recommended eyelet - procomp adapter way, at least till a good bushing is found suitable for our weight.

Then go to page 29 and post #284. He has new bushings, but still in testing phase.

Checking those links out should answer your question better than i could, as he has pictures of the damage.

04blackout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GREAT WRITE UP!!!

Just wanna say thank you for all your attention to detail. I got your pm and you definitely did not disappoint. Ive been debating just bolting the pro comp adapter straight into the top myself, bc from what I can see that place seems pretty stout. Atomic's brackets are just plain bombproof overkill, which is great but I'm just not totally sure its necessary

Do you have a link to any threads where guys have gone this route?

OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GREAT WRITE UP!!!

Just wanna say thank you for all your attention to detail. I got your pm and you definitely did not disappoint. Ive been debating just bolting the pro comp adapter straight into the top myself, bc from what I can see that place seems pretty stout. Atomic's brackets are just plain bombproof overkill, which is great but I'm just not totally sure its necessary

Do you have a link to any threads where guys have gone this route?

Thanks appreciate it, it took a little while to do and i am going to clean it up some and add some more pictures for reference, soon as i get the approval from someone. It will help understand the install better.

Yes, the brackets really are just that, extra reinforcement that may or may not be needed. Time will tell, as the only people i can find that have this setup are the gentlemen on pt.net that is in the link in the op, and atomic himself. He does not daily his, i do not think, i do and will. So the miles and use will go up everyday.

I really wish i we would of just bolted it up and went that route, it just slipped right by us. But not a big deal now. I do see others concern though, b/c if not then thats some time easily spent elsewhere. lol

For links: Post number 10 - Pro comp adapter only

http://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...-22/ditched-torsion-bars-coilovers-hd-504605/

Just realized that the link above, i pm'ed that guy, as he lives close by. Unfortunately he has sold the truck that he installed this on did have it on for around 10k miles though and said the new owner lives up north and has had zero problems with the Pro Comp adapter at all.

Last edited:

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the red bushing stock the guy over on PT.net is using will fail also. With just the weight sitting on the bushings you can see where the poly is already staring to crown over the washer. Delrin is very hard, and I think that it will cause the upper stud to fail because it's so ridged. I guess in the end, it's how low you want to go.In my case, I don't think the 1.5" I would lose in travel would be a big issue since I would be using the DS303's.

Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great write up! Also very glad you are satisfied with the swap!

Like mentioned the top bracket is a reinforcement for the hoop that is already there. Is it required? No, but it will make you feel more confident if you have any doubts about the swap and that part failing. It doesnt bother me if they dont sell, the bottoms are much easier to make lol

The bushing is the reason for not recommending the stud mount. The stock bushing doesnt stand a chance, and the guy on PT is still testing the replacements he got, and they look better, but have not heard a conclusion on it. I would not be worried about a hard mount on the top (no bushing) because of stress from travel or the angle because remember the factory shock is stud mount top. With a stud top you could either use a longer shock for more travel (not that big of a deal), or go up to 1.5" lower than using the procomp adapter.

If anyone has questions about it feel free to PM me here or on PT (where I have a much bigger inbox haha). Thanks for yalls interest and special thanks to Mike for his review and taking a chance on them ;)

Bomba02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GREAT WRITE UP!!! I'm jealous, I want to do this. It's great that it's your DD as well like mine and need to be able to handle any driving situation. Can't wait for some more driving Fred back on mod. One thing I just noticed your 2WD right I'm AWD wonder if there would be any fitment issues with the drop spindles. I know atomic is 4wd but has no drop spindles. Jw.
What springs do you have in the rear? Are you sitting pretty close to level?
Thanks Billy great job man.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tahoewhat

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great write up! Also very glad you are satisfied with the swap!

If anyone has questions about it feel free to PM me here or on PT (where I have a much bigger inbox haha). Thanks for yalls interest and special thanks to Mike for his review and taking a chance on them ;)

Thanks Richard & very satisfied. I am very glad you came over here and posted this b/c I honestly probably would not have done this or known about it without you.

I think the red bushing stock the guy over on PT.net is using will fail also. With just the weight sitting on the bushings you can see where the poly is already staring to crown over the washer. Delrin is very hard, and I think that it will cause the upper stud to fail because it's so ridged. I guess in the end, it's how low you want to go.In my case, I don't think the 1.5" I would lose in travel would be a big issue since I would be using the DS303's.

I am not sure of the durability of the bushing, but i am watching his thread still. Always something to learn or change.
With the qa1 shocks, i thought i would be loosing alot of travel by looking at them, but the little time i have gone here and there, has not bottomed out one time and with having adjustable shocks helps greatly. I even put them on the softest setting and floating all around like a caddy and still did not bottom out.

GREAE WRITE UP!!! I'm jealous, I want to do this. It's great that it's your DD as well like mine and need to be able to handle any driving situation. Can't wait for some more driving Fred back on mod. One thing I just noticed your 2WD right I'm AWD wonder if there would be any fitment issues with the drop spindles. I know atomic is 4wd but has no drop spindles. Jw.
What springs do you have in the rear? Are you sitting pretty close to level?
Thanks Billy great job man.

Thanks Billy.

Yep it is my DD all day everyday. lol. Just to further that as well, I have started school again, 4 classes and will be traveling about and extra 100 miles a week now. So by the end of the week, i will have a good review on some more miles.

Being my DD is also why i went with atomics upper bracket, to handle all potholes and construction here. Extra confidence for me.

Good question on the drop spindles and awd / 4wd. I will see what i can find. I'm sure i have a link of folks that have that combo.

Im dead level, 32" all the way around. Rear is free travel mod / Panhard bar/ lca & uca / qa1 rs702 shocks / and beltech 5305 springs.

Thanks again everyone for the kind words on the write up.

Keep the questions coming. lol.:anitoof:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076