Coated or non coated rotors also ac delco pad question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sanco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I searched for common asked questions about brakes but nothing came up concerning this that I could find.

Looking into ac delco and r1 rotors with a ceramic pad setup. I want to know from the people who had non coated rotors in their vehicle. How long was your life on the rotors? Did you notice any difference in braking and rotor life?

As for pads I'm looking into ac delco professional ceramic vs OE. Is there really that much of a difference between the two? Pretty much same questions as for the rotors.

Non coated rotors and pads have great reviews on Amazon but nothing with more than 10k miles of use. The price difference though is about $100 total for the front.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Coated rotors are only good for a little bit. After few times braking, the coating is gone. We use coated rotors at the dealership when we do used cars. They don’t rust up of the car sits on the lot for a bit and reduces the Likeliness if needed the rotors to be resurfaced before going to a customer.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I searched for common asked questions about brakes but nothing came up concerning this that I could find.

Looking into ac delco and r1 rotors with a ceramic pad setup. I want to know from the people who had non coated rotors in their vehicle. How long was your life on the rotors? Did you notice any difference in braking and rotor life?

As for pads I'm looking into ac delco professional ceramic vs OE. Is there really that much of a difference between the two? Pretty much same questions as for the rotors.

Non coated rotors and pads have great reviews on Amazon but nothing with more than 10k miles of use. The price difference though is about $100 total for the front.
autozone sells rotors that are part carbon fiber and probably less likely to rust I have had them on my truck for a few months now they work pretty darn good, I also use there premier ceramic pads, I did try the carbon fiber pads also but they made a lot of dust and squeaked, but the ceramic pads and carbon fiber embedded rotors have been working out quite well, silent and little dust and cost doesn't break the bank, rotors I think have 2 or 3 year warranty, pads are lifetime which makes it sweeter.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The coating on the rotor surface will wear off from friction obviously. Geomet is a popular coated rotor and we have them on our wagon. They don't rust but don't look good either. I just did the anodized rotors made by PowerStop on my wife's car and our 08 Deni XL AWD. They look good after a few months but wont know more until after we get some rain in Cali.

The PowerStop are priced less than the Geomet rotors and hands down look better. Longevity ... The biggest problem we've had on our beast is accumulation of pad material (warping) on the rotors from the set that was on the truck when we got it. The oe pads were super dirty.

All our cars run drilled and or slotted discs. The main reason is that the disc can wipe itself clean on every pass to avoid brake material from building up. They run cooler and dry off a hell of a lot faster after getting soaked. The wear on the x drilled/slotted rotors is much more even than conventional. In twenty years of running them, even without coating or anodized, they've never micro fractured or cracked like all the hype I see sometimes.

Ceramic pads. XLNT choice. They're low dust, G3000 grade iron that's quiet and have predictable stopping power when cold like oe material. They'll easily get you through another brake pad change before you have to swap the rotors again.

OP
OP
sanco

sanco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, I used r1 in the past along with the autozone premium pads/ rotors as well. I'm familiar with different advantages of different rotor designs but never really paid too much attention to coatings. I am also familiar with big brake Brembo setups like I had on my jeep srt8.

The tahoe now has roughly 45k miles and the rotors from what i have seen look fairly decent. What is the life span you guys have seen on OEM rotors? They have very even pedal feel and no vibration or feedback from braking. Would it be safe to just swap the pads this time around?

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, I used r1 in the past along with the autozone premium pads/ rotors as well. I'm familiar with different advantages of different rotor designs but never really paid too much attention to coatings. I am also familiar with big brake Brembo setups like I had on my jeep srt8.

The tahoe now has roughly 45k miles and the rotors from what i have seen look fairly decent. What is the life span you guys have seen on OEM rotors? They have very even pedal feel and no vibration or feedback from braking. Would it be safe to just swap the pads this time around?
Realistically you can get long use out of oem rotors. Granted they don’t develope hot spots from frozen calipers, ground into, or massive amount of rust build up preventing the rotors from being resurfaced. I got over 100k on my oem

OP
OP
sanco

sanco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info, really cleared up the loose ends for me. I think I'll probably go with the non coated ACDs and ACD ceramic professional pads when the time comes. The stock rotors look good so ill just save those, machine them, and spray them lightly so i can reuse them next time it comes to change them up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick