Cluster and radio dont work after putting pioneer double din in. PLEASE HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZMXG

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys I have an 01 tahoe 2wd. I got a double din pioneer radio and a system for a good price. I unhooked my Kenwood single din that was already installed and wired up the new one. I made sure that I matched all the colors accordingly. During this time my key was on. ( I haven't unhooked the battery, and I heard a spark when hooking it up) I put in the new stereo and it doesn't work. I'm upset because I thought he gave me a bad radio. I hook back up my Kenwood to realize it doesn't work. I then looked at my dash and nothing on my instrument cluster works except for my battery voltage and oil pressure gauge. **Additional Info** I checked all my fuses retaining towards these with a power probe and they were all good. I also just went ahead and replaced them. Also with the tahoe running I'm getting power and ground to the radio. It's just not coming on. If some has a good wiring diagram or can help me out I would really appreciate it. **Note* before all this happened periodically my gauges would act up randomly while driving and if it tapped the top of the dash it would fix itself. That's all I got. Open to any suggestions. Thank you guys

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I have an 01 tahoe 2wd. I got a double din pioneer radio and a system for a good price. I unhooked my Kenwood single din that was already installed and wired up the new one. I made sure that I matched all the colors accordingly. During this time my key was on. ( I haven't unhooked the battery, and I heard a spark when hooking it up) I put in the new stereo and it doesn't work. I'm upset because I thought he gave me a bad radio. I hook back up my Kenwood to realize it doesn't work. I then looked at my dash and nothing on my instrument cluster works except for my battery voltage and oil pressure gauge. **Additional Info** I checked all my fuses retaining towards these with a power probe and they were all good. I also just went ahead and replaced them. Also with the tahoe running I'm getting power and ground to the radio. It's just not coming on. If some has a good wiring diagram or can help me out I would really appreciate it. **Note* before all this happened periodically my gauges would act up randomly while driving and if it tapped the top of the dash it would fix itself. That's all I got. Open to any suggestions. Thank you guys

'01... Hmmm. It might be a bit of a stretch, but does your power port ("cigarette lighter") work? Earlier GMs had the radio on that same circuit. Hopefully, you just popped that fuse and it was one you didn't check. You said you're getting power to the radio, but is that switched or constant?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well..... always a good idea to unhook the battery first for this exact reason
did you look at the new radio manual?, have you tested the constant power and accessory power and ground connections to be sure they are correct and working?
some simple troubleshooting should reveal the problem.
as for the cluster if "some" of it is working and some is not, typically that is a ground issue if not and the "cluster" and "accessory" fuses are working, then the cluster is in need of repair.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've caused this issue years ago... Don't 100% recall exactly where the fuse was. However, pretty sure you've blown a fuse.

Some of the gauges come from the PCM some are direct and work regardless, I think oil pressure is one example? I don't believe that signal comes from the PCM. So you symptoms sound similar to what I had experienced.

What year is your rig? There are some subtle changes around 2003. Mine is a 2001 so what I talk about maybe slightly different.

Radio circuit on my 2001 Tahoe is always live. Possibly because BCM commands it off after the door is opened, another topic. So is always best to disconnect the battery when working on a radio to be fully sure nothing is grounded out / shorted. Do I do that, nope, I'm lazy haha That said it's fused. Under the hood it should have blown the 15 amp radio fuse. Did you check that?

You said you checked all the fuses? I think the IPC stuff is by the A pillars off the dash. It does sound like you have a blown fuse despite you said you checked. There maybe some instrument cluster stuff on the driver side. Did you check those IPC fuse boxes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons