Clunking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El_Callao

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I hear a clunking sound every time I turn the wheel of my 03 suburban 1500 2WD

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Virginia Need a little more info. Where is the clunk? When braking? When accelerating? Over bumps? Any recent service? Lug nuts tight?

OP
OP
E

El_Callao

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Virginia Need a little more info. Where is the clunk? When braking? When accelerating? Over bumps? Any recent service? Lug nuts tight?
No just when I’m turning the steering wheel.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Does it make a difference which way you turn or just either way you turn? Like @TollKeeper said, where do you hear it? Is it any worse if you are turning in over a tapered part of curb, like a driveway? Hitting bumps at same time? Feel it at all? You may have problems at the sway bar links: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7219668&cc=1412198&pt=7580&jsn=925 or the sway bar frame mounts? Maybe the shock mounts? Maybe almost anything till we can get info from you about all the questions. Also, is it a constant, meaning, each and every single time you turn left or right, the noise is there, no matter what?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As recommended by @PNW VietVet inspect the sway bar links and sway bar bushings, and the shock mounts; those are probably the easiest to replace. It could also be the ISS (Intermediate Steering Shaft) as @TollKeeper was trying to determine, or a wheel bearing, or a ball joint. The possibilities are endless...

OP
OP
E

El_Callao

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As the folks above have asked, please give us additional information, and we will work with you to narrow down the possible sources.
Already change sway bar links and wheel bearings and shocks and also did the pitman and idler arm change

OP
OP
E

El_Callao

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does it make a difference which way you turn or just either way you turn? Like @TollKeeper said, where do you hear it? Is it any worse if you are turning in over a tapered part of curb, like a driveway? Hitting bumps at same time? Feel it at all? You may have problems at the sway bar links: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7219668&cc=1412198&pt=7580&jsn=925 or the sway bar frame mounts? Maybe the shock mounts? Maybe almost anything till we can get info from you about all the questions. Also, is it a constant, meaning, each and every single time you turn left or right, the noise is there, no matter what?
I only hear it when it turns but mostly from the left front and hitting bumps sometimes & yes it constant. Every time I turn but just the front left

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeronightwolf