Clunk When Letting of Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So in my 00 Limited, at times when letting off the brakes from a stop it get a clunk coming from the drivetrain. Feels like something shifting. Going to park the car till this weekend when I can get under it and inspect. Initial thought is engine or tranmission mount, or possibly ujoints? What else should I be on the look out for? Anyone have a similar issue with their OBS?

Thanks,

Matt

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So in my 00 Limited, at times when letting off the brakes from a stop it get a clunk coming from the drivetrain. Feels like something shifting. Going to park the car till this weekend when I can get under it and inspect. Initial thought is engine or tranmission mount, or possibly ujoints? What else should I be on the look out for? Anyone have a similar issue with their OBS?

Thanks,

Matt
Are you sure it's coming from the drivetrain and not from a caliper or the rear drums? Noise might be a little deceptive.

OP
OP
O

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure it isn't the brakes themselves. Did a little googling, and this seems to be a common symptom of an ungreased slip yoke. So need to look at this a little more.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive had the dry slipper yolk on my 03 2500 hd. theres a TSA for it.

mine i had to take the drive shaft off the front diff, then grease and re install. no zerk to be found.

chevydrummer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
my 96 is doing the same thing, but i wouldn't call it a "clunk". sounds and feels more like the rear breaks releasing from being stuck, and it only does it when its hot outside.

i have yet to check it out as i've been fixing alot of other things. just finished the driver side door pins and outer door handle.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd be checking the caliper slides (are they greased?) and the calipers to see if one is not releasing completely. If the rears are drum brakes make sure they're adjusted and working properly.

Wonder what the OP (@orange57) found?