Clunk in the steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gnilson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My '01 Yukon has a slight clunk at low speeds in the steering column. Something is definitely loose. I have had 2 separate shops look at it and they claim all the front suspension is tight.

Is this something anyone has run across? The manager at the second place claimed he had the same problem with his 2003 Tahoe and never found the problem. Maybe the steering column mounts? Any insight at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Geoff

Bomba02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
steering shaft are common clunk in these trucks happens all the time. search it theres forum on how to stop prevent. Hope that helps

OP
OP
G

gnilson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After asking my son to wiggle the steering wheel while I looked under the hood, I determined that the slight clunking was actually in the steering box itself. I got out my 16mm box wrench and 5/16 Hex (ALLEN), loosened the locking nut on the adjuster on top of the box, turned the center adjuster in about 1 turn until I felt some resistance, backed it off about 1/16 of a turn, tightened the locking nut and Voila! I was rewarded with a much tighter steering, better feel, no on-center slop and, best of all, the clunk was gone.

I'm thinking any one of our trucks with over 100k should probably perform this simple adjustment just to make sure the box is within spec.

Regards
Geoff

jose6326

Reaction score
After asking my son to wiggle the steering wheel while I looked under the hood, I determined that the slight clunking was actually in the steering box itself. I got out my 16mm box wrench and 5/16 Hex (ALLEN), loosened the locking nut on the adjuster on top of the box, turned the center adjuster in about 1 turn until I felt some resistance, backed it off about 1/16 of a turn, tightened the locking nut and Voila! I was rewarded with a much tighter steering, better feel, no on-center slop and, best of all, the clunk was gone.

I'm thinking any one of our trucks with over 100k should probably perform this simple adjustment just to make sure the box is within spec.

Regards
Geoff

can you post pics of what you loosened and tightened?
I have the same clunk noise and I read in other posts that it is the upper intermediate steering shaft

I rather do what you did first before I spend $60 on a new shaft

thanks

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
Thanks for posting a followup on your success...I'm glad you got this sorted out. I've been considering doing this on my Tahoe. I had a clunk sound when turning, but the car lot I bought my Tahoe from agreed to replace the part of the steering shaft prior to the sale, so that fixed my clunking sound. My steering still seems looser than it should be. I've replaced everything up front except the pitman and idler arms and once I do that I may be up for adjusting the steering box.

For anyone scoping out this thread and considering this adjustment, keep in mind that too much adjustment can hurt your steering box. There's a good writeup on here that touches on the risks.

Regards
Geoff

robchopshop

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
my steering had a bad vibration in it fro the column bushing being out took 5 mins to fix and the local autozone had the part in stock cost 15

chevync

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when you guys have the clunk at low idle does it also seem to catch when turning the wheel?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tadsher

Latest posts