Clicking / Rotational Noise from Front End

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when you checked those front hubs did you happen to spin the wheels and listen for the noise? if there is no noise when spinning the front wheels then chock the front wheels, jack up the rear wheels put it in gear at idle and listen for the noise.

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are two videos that might help: one is an old/bad wheel bearing that was starting to roar, and another that is new. You can see how much easier the old one spins than the new one. In this case, the old wheel bearing had ZERO play that I could discern when using the typical diagnosing steps. You may just have to pull the wheel off and see how hard/easy the bearing is to spin by hand.

OP
OP
AggieZig

AggieZig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, I spun both wheel bearings. They feel tight and as they should but I did hear a very faint tick from the passenger side. It's hard to spin it fast enough by hand to know if it's my problem. I took the CV axle off as well to confirm that the noise was coming from the bearing and it appears to be. I ordered a replacement Moog bearing hub assembly and will try to replace that tomorrow. Will update after to see if that fixes my issue.

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I spun both wheel bearings. They feel tight and as they should but I did hear a very faint tick from the passenger side. It's hard to spin it fast enough by hand to know if it's my problem. I took the CV axle off as well to confirm that the noise was coming from the bearing and it appears to be. I ordered a replacement Moog bearing hub assembly and will try to replace that tomorrow. Will update after to see if that fixes my issue.

Good call. That faint tick could be what you're hearing. I imagine that tick gets MUCH louder when the weight of the truck is on the bearing, and is moving down the road at 30+ mph. Please keep us posted.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I would not do a Moog hub/bearing. I would do a Timken or AC Delco.
He already ordered it. It will last plenty long enough. My Detroit Axle Bearing has made it almost a year with no problems and that was a 40.00 Bearing.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
He already ordered it. It will last plenty long enough. My Detroit Axle Bearing has made it almost a year with no problems and that was a 40.00 Bearing.

Yea, what we recommend and what gets done can be 2 different things. It is always the vehicle owner's call. By "last plenty long enough" does that mean that you have plans not to keep the rig?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700