Clicking / Rotational Noise from Front End

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AggieZig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

New guy here, just picked up a 2004 Tahoe Z71 with 172k on her. I stole the truck from the PO because the trans was starting to go out, so I just had that rebuilt with a local shop. Since getting the truck back on Friday evening, I've noticed a ticking noise from the front that seems to start around 15MPH and increase with speed. I've already called the shop back and he said that he noticed the sound but assumed it was there before he got the truck... Anyways, I won't be able to take it back for him to listen until later this week so I wanted to try and do some research beforehand.

Here is a video clip of the noise:

Here's what I've tested so far... The noise is present when the vehicle is rolling at speed - doesn't matter if it's in neutral, 2WD or 4WD. The noise is only present when rolling (ie: not when revving in park). The noise seems to follow wheel speed, not engine speed. I can't feel any play in the front wheel bearings / hubs. I also checked to make sure the transfer case had fluid. The CV axles have a little bit of lateral (in and out) play but I believe this is normal as long as they don't have any rotational play.

Any other thoughts on what I could check?

Thanks!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My first thoughts, based off of your description, is the wheel hub bearing(s). You said you checked for play. How did you do that? When you say the noise is coming from the front, how are you determining that? I don't necessarily doubt you, I just want to know how you got there. You said the noise follows the wheel speed and not engine speed, so I again am assuming that you mean the noise gets faster or louder or both? What condition are the tires in? Lots of times a person with a rig has the problem you describe before any work is done but does not notice till after other work is done and they listen more closely. You said you just got the rig, so I am assuming that you have been listening close from the beginning and this noise is indeed a new noise. I ask about location because driveshafts were removed for the trans work and that may be a source of noise from u-joints.

OP
OP
AggieZig

AggieZig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great thoughts, thanks for the feedback. To check for wheel bearing play, I jacked up each wheel and looked for movement / looseness across the vertical axis (that runs from the ground up through the tire). I say the front based solely on what I can hear when driving - it almost sounds like its coming from under the dash. Yes it does get faster (the ticking interval) with speed, not necessarily louder though.

Tires are in fair condition, probably 3-4 years old but about 40-50% tread left. They are BFG AT KO2. You're correct that I did not notice any of this noise when purchasing and driving it back 2 hours to my place.

I did check for play in the rear driveshaft and did not detect any play in the U joints, just the "normal" slop from the trans while in park. I did not check the front driveshaft since it does not spin in 2WD.

Thanks again

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I had that happen at one of my shops. One of the techs was playing a trick on another tech and did the zip tie on the driveshaft. He started home, heard the noise and pulled it in the shop. Cut the zip tie off and gave the other tech hell the next day. Good times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE