Clicking / Rotational Noise from Front End

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, what we recommend and what gets done can be 2 different things. It is always the vehicle owner's call. By "last plenty long enough" does that mean that you have plans not to keep the rig?
I'm keeping it. I meant his Moog front bearing should last plenty long.

mpope2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As someone else mentioned, double check the wiring harness going to the Tranny and T case. Years ago, when I had to do a rear main seal on my Tahoe I left one clip out of its dedicated attachment point and the Wire loom rubbed the front driveshaft. Drove me damn nuts. Like yourself, my mind went to a hundred different places. I noticed where it was rubbing when I pulled the shaft out again to eliminate it as possibility. Hopefully your issue is something similar.

OP
OP
AggieZig

AggieZig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, the mystery noise is less mysterious now. I replaced the P F wheel bearing hub assembly and crossed my fingers. Went out for a drive and the noise was still there.

Jacked her back up, took both wheels off and spun them again. I think I found the culprit, video below.

It sounds like it's coming from the front differential. I am clinging on to hope that it could be this CV axle but I think it sounds like a diff bearing noise.

Thoughts? I know this isn't the tranny guy's fault. Just super freaking coincidental that the noise started once it left his shop.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the mystery noise is less mysterious now. I replaced the P F wheel bearing hub assembly and crossed my fingers. Went out for a drive and the noise was still there.

Jacked her back up, took both wheels off and spun them again. I think I found the culprit, video below.

It sounds like it's coming from the front differential. I am clinging on to hope that it could be this CV axle but I think it sounds like a diff bearing noise.

Thoughts? I know this isn't the tranny guy's fault. Just super freaking coincidental that the noise started once it left his shop.
That’s definitely a clicking sound. I’d take the Half shaft off and then spin the axle hub and see if the sound is still there.

How many miles on the vehicle? EDIT: Never mind, just reread original post 172K.

OP
OP
AggieZig

AggieZig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help and feedback.

I pulled the half shaft this morning and confirmed the noise is coming from the diff itself. Went ahead and did a fluid change but no dice. Oh well.

I got a quote from a local shop from $500 - $850 depending on how bad it is, plus $250 for R/R.

Anyone know of a trusty diff rebuilder in the Greater LA area?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help and feedback.

I pulled the half shaft this morning and confirmed the noise is coming from the diff itself. Went ahead and did a fluid change but no dice. Oh well.

I got a quote from a local shop from $500 - $850 depending on how bad it is, plus $250 for R/R.

Anyone know of a trusty diff rebuilder in the Greater LA area?

Did you happen to remove the front diff actuator to see if that was causing the noise?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Look for discolored fluid, grey tint from metal mix in with the fluid.

How did you change the fluid you just said you did?

OP
OP
AggieZig

AggieZig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The fluid had a grey tint to it, otherwise, it was pretty clean. No metal chunks but there was a fine powder on the drain plug magnet. I've read this is somewhat normal?

I tried the diff actuator suggestion but unfortunately, the noise is still there. Sounds like it's the diff. Just super coincidental timing with the transmission work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamnalicea143e