Clear coat coming off---Do I wash my car too much? A friendly family debate :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rfried

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2004 Yukon SLE 5.3...stripper model...118,000 miles, basically bone stock, no mods, no factory running boards, bench seat...but has served me perfectly well for 7 years this month.

A debate between my wife and I...I need your thoughts! Lets have a little fun..."Is it possible to wash your car so much that you start to wash the paint off?" Sounds insane right...but thats what my wife says I'm doing to my prized vehicle...read on...

I like a clean car. A lot. I believe that how your car looks is a reflection on you. Think about it...if you see a car at a stop light next to you and its filthy, it appears like the owner doesn't take care of it...am I right? Also, as a career firefighter I advertise my occupation/employer with a fire hat sticker on the back, and as a part time paramedic instructor my students know which car in the parking lot is mine. It suits me just fine for my students, as well as the general public, to know that I take care of my things, makes me feel that I have my Sh*t together.

So...back to the Yukon. Carbon metallic in color, which I think was the best color of the 2000-2006 models. I wash my car every two weeks, dry it off and spray wax it. Dusted with a duster every few days. Hand waxed every 6 months, clay bar every year, gets a professional detail once every 12 - 18 months. Interior is vacuumed and wiped out every wash, carpets shampooed every 6 months.

Well...it appears the clear coat is starting to come off...but other than the normal places (hood, roof) its also happening in weird places, like the front fenders and rear lift hatch. I do park the Yukon outside unfortunately, and in the Southern California heat...so hence the fact that I wax my car often.

Does anyone else have these issues...and please tell me that my wife is wrong...its not possible to wash your car so much that you rub the paint off.

Thanks for listening...hope you enjoyed my lame story haha.

Opinions? Comments?

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually wash mine once a week.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also clean mine once a week so I don't think that's the problem. GM has been known to have these issue before...

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel the same way as you about dirty cars and i think i`m addicted to keeping my vehicles as clean as possible inside and out.

I claybar and wax about every three months ever since i got my orbital buffer because it takes a fraction of the time it takes to hand wax. I carry a car duster and quick wax and micro fiber towels at all times and use them at the first sign of dust and i have no problems with my clear coat.

Some people think i`m nuts but it makes me happy so screw em.

ntxstallion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not washing to much my friend. I think we both are victim to bad paint. I have bad paint degradation on the hood of mine. It is black and I've seen the same from quite a few black ones here in my area. Saving up for a ram air hood from LMC and gonna get it painted to match.

Hammer450R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only time i saw this was my buddies vet that he washed and waxed constantly.
I had a Camaro at the same time that was fine and i rarely washed it lol

Night Fury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2004 Yukon SLE 5.3...stripper model...118,000 miles, basically bone stock, no mods, no factory running boards, bench seat...but has served me perfectly well for 7 years this month.

A debate between my wife and I...I need your thoughts! Lets have a little fun..."Is it possible to wash your car so much that you start to wash the paint off?" Sounds insane right...but thats what my wife says I'm doing to my prized vehicle...read on...

I like a clean car. A lot. I believe that how your car looks is a reflection on you. Think about it...if you see a car at a stop light next to you and its filthy, it appears like the owner doesn't take care of it...am I right? Also, as a career firefighter I advertise my occupation/employer with a fire hat sticker on the back, and as a part time paramedic instructor my students know which car in the parking lot is mine. It suits me just fine for my students, as well as the general public, to know that I take care of my things, makes me feel that I have my Sh*t together.

So...back to the Yukon. Carbon metallic in color, which I think was the best color of the 2000-2006 models. I wash my car every two weeks, dry it off and spray wax it. Dusted with a duster every few days. Hand waxed every 6 months, clay bar every year, gets a professional detail once every 12 - 18 months. Interior is vacuumed and wiped out every wash, carpets shampooed every 6 months.

Well...it appears the clear coat is starting to come off...but other than the normal places (hood, roof) its also happening in weird places, like the front fenders and rear lift hatch. I do park the Yukon outside unfortunately, and in the Southern California heat...so hence the fact that I wax my car often.

Does anyone else have these issues...and please tell me that my wife is wrong...its not possible to wash your car so much that you rub the paint off.

Thanks for listening...hope you enjoyed my lame story haha.

Opinions? Comments?

+123456789 CARBON FTW! and no i wash my car about every week. its usually the sun that does it.

SamoanYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too hate a dirty ride and with our island weather (unpredictable; sun & rain) I wash my truck 2 to 3 times a week. Some paint peeling and I blame that on our hot climate (direct sunlight), plus I don't have a garage.

My wife says the same thing, but she sure enjoys riding around in a clean ride though.

drowndindreams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like the paint is oxidizing. common problem to many people. try not to park it in the sun as much. i hear that turtle wax can help in getting some of it off, but you'll most likely need to repaint those areas. When it comes to keeping my truck clean I have OCD. It needs to be spotless, inside and out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrRuiz