Chrome delete picture thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R32driver

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you guys been wrapping the roof rails or using Plasti Dip?

I've used both on parts of my Yukon so far and there are pros and cons to both. Also, this is DIY question. Thanks!
Our roof rails were painted in place after masking off the vehicle. Wrap guy was concerned that vinyl wouldn't hold up well due to the crease that runs along the length of the rails

TexasRedNeck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great stuff here. I’m going to try something different. With the Vader chrome on the 2023 Ultimate I’m going to try and get the rest of the chrome to match with wrap. The wheels are a debate in my mind. Probably going to find a shop to do black chrome, which will be pretty close and different. If the exhaust tips come off I will have them done too

porsdrvr95

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2023 Yukon Denali is on the way. I want to black out all the trim. What is the best way: Paint, Powder Coat, Vinyl wrap? Does anyone have good Shop in Oklahoma City to perform the blackout process.

Is there a Black-chrome film available as well?

navyseal334

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few questions for those who have done a chrome delete

1. How long did your delete last before getting chipped off/fading away?
2. For those with a lot of chrome nooks and crannies in the grill, did they apply a wrap or paint it? If paint, did they remove the grill to do it or mask off everything around it to avoid overspray?
3. Did your delete job include the wheels or did you get black rims?

s4cruiser

Reaction score
In prep for my Denali, i reached out to get an estimate for chrome delete locally here in Raleigh. Was quoted $2500 for everything except the grille center, all done via vinyl. High, perhaps?

Also, what's the expected longevity of vinyl wrap?

Punteh

Reaction score
In prep for my Denali, i reached out to get an estimate for chrome delete locally here in Raleigh. Was quoted $2500 for everything except the grille center, all done via vinyl. High, perhaps?

Also, what's the expected longevity of vinyl wrap?

$2500 sounds reasonable to me when you compare it to this:

s4cruiser

Reaction score
$2500 sounds reasonable to me when you compare it to this:

I have looked at that package a few times. It is expensive but part of that kit's cost is in getting new OEM trim pieces that you then replace your parts with. They also paint most of the pieces vs vinyl.

I have been doing to research on vinyl DIY and may give it a shot before paying a shop to do it. It seems most of the cost is labor and the vinyl isn't very expensive.

ProfeZZor X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The God-honest truth about why I partially went with an AT4, versus the Denali was because the AT4 came standard with it's own black out package... For example, the window trim and badges. I also wanted a low approach vehicle too, so it all worked out for the best.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand this. I like chrome. It's shiny and it sparkles. I read one thread that offered a decent explanation about muting chrome on some interior surfaces. Something about distracting Sun reflections in mirrors. I can understand that as it could be a safety issue for some. But I don't understand all the exterior surfaces, especially when there seems to be so much cost and effort involved.

You buy a vehicle that costs tens of thousands of dollars, then cover a bunch of exterior surfaces and trim.

Tinbadtin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand this. I like chrome. It's shiny and it sparkles. I read one thread that offered a decent explanation about muting chrome on some interior surfaces. Something about distracting Sun reflections in mirrors. I can understand that as it could be a safety issue for some. But I don't understand all the exterior surfaces, especially when there seems to be so much cost and effort involved.

You buy a vehicle that costs tens of thousands of dollars, then cover a bunch of exterior surfaces and trim.

Tastes change and go through cycles. Chrome used to be more prevalent but many don’t like the flashiness of it. To me, it looks tacky… like the fake gold door handles in some houses built in a certain era.

It’s also a cultural thing, growing up in Europe there wasn’t nearly as much chrome on cars. BMW/Audi/MB have offered black out packages for a long time. US manufacturers started to catch up but GM limits the black out package to only one or two trims. I bought an LS because it suits all my needs without spending ~10k more on the other trims, but the few pieces of chrome used on it still bother me so I plan to do something about it down the line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staffie