Check this Projector Retrofit out!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waxworkz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they're probably called projector housings, but from what I understand, a true projector headlight is something like the DEPO or something similar. I may be wrong, but that's what I thought a true projector headlight was. One with a projector in it.

Yes, you could very easily do that to your stock headlights.

Watch these videos (in this order):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI4ErrG3DO4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UMlUfBbc1M&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In0OaqEbk2w&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFWdVStR1Vs&feature=related

what type of projectors are those?

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
what's wrong with the cutoff?
looks pretty sharp to me..

I just don't like it...lol. That's why I said it's more of a personal thing. It's almost uniformly flat all the way across. It doesn't drop off on the passenger side (on-coming traffic side) to keep glare to other drivers down. I like the distinct look and function of that kind of cutoff. For example, mine:

IMG_00471.gif

And to clarify something about projectors:

There are 2 basic kinds of headlight projectors. Those designed for halogen bulbs and those designed for HID's. They are similar but engineered specifically for the type and amount of light the bulb outputs. This is why so many HID's look like crap when just thrown in a non-HID projector. They have more light, essentially, than the halogen projector was designed to focus.

Purists like myself, who like sharp, crisp cutoffs and long-thrown focus will always opt for the more expensive real HID projectors. It's easy to call it light snobbery, but I drive in the dark...a lot in Alaska....so I take the lights seriously.

;)

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
it was anything defensive I just wanted to know your opinion and didn't know of any other way of wording it lol
so thanks for your post, very informative :)

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Didn't take it badly, sorry if it came across that way. I just like the look of the cutoff better is really what it comes down to...lol.

polobuds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just don't like it...lol. That's why I said it's more of a personal thing. It's almost uniformly flat all the way across. It doesn't drop off on the passenger side (on-coming traffic side) to keep glare to other drivers down. I like the distinct look and function of that kind of cutoff. For example, mine:

IMG_00471.gif

And to clarify something about projectors:

There are 2 basic kinds of headlight projectors. Those designed for halogen bulbs and those designed for HID's. They are similar but engineered specifically for the type and amount of light the bulb outputs. This is why so many HID's look like crap when just thrown in a non-HID projector. They have more light, essentially, than the halogen projector was designed to focus.

Purists like myself, who like sharp, crisp cutoffs and long-thrown focus will always opt for the more expensive real HID projectors. It's easy to call it light snobbery, but I drive in the dark...a lot in Alaska....so I take the lights seriously.

;)

Agreed. I like the sharp, crisp, cutoffs and if it's good enough for the asian car scene, it should be good enough for me. One could argue they probably make better headlights/products than other manufacturers, as seen in high end asian auto makers.

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

what type of projectors are those?

Morimoto Mini H1 from retrofit source. The same projectors I was thinking about getting until I came across some people who recommended the lexus RX projectors as a better fit.

Most people are getting their projectors from here: www.theretrofitsource.com

Not the only place you can get them from, but from experience, they have great customer service (Matt is a great guy to work with) and their prices are reasonable and they carry good projectors. But like Denali said, he's the light guy so he's more knowledgeable in that area. One of the reasons why I'm doing my retrofit is because I saw his thread and it seemed pretty straightforward. Just running into some minor fitment issues, but once I figure that out, it should be smooth sailing from there.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I'm not the light guy, I'm just OCD about my lights....lol.

Matt at TRS knows his stuff as far as the products go, but it's hard for him to tell you exactly what'll fit in every housing out there, so this is where we get to experiment a bit and share successes and failures with each other.

:)

waxworkz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm i dunno. i'm torn between IPCW projectore(they arent meant for HIDs i dont think), getting a set of depos and retro fitting HID projectors or getting morimoto(but not sure about the mini H1) and fitting them into my clear after market head lights

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this was the retrofit Tahoewhat was talking about. Thanks for posting it '92

yep thats the one im talking about. Looks good to me, better than my halo projectors w/ hids. Alot better. And looks much easier to install. Im still on the fence about doing this. I drive alot in the dark also, but not that much, no where near denaliak, lol....

waxworkz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL i'm just tired of my lights. they have been on the truck for 9 years and its time for a change

jutte73

Reaction score
so question here, i know there are projectors made for HID and halogens, are the depos made for HIDs? from what i see on here everyone is pretty happy with them.. i like the crisp cutoff lines and have had projectors before just have broke down and got them for my tahoe yet lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n