Check out this mevotech control arm problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snufflucks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got a new to me leveled 2003 tahoe z71 that needs the front suspension worked over so I ordered the mevotech kit from RA. Decided to give them a chance because Ive gone with Moog problem solver stuff in the past and have had problems with them... So if I'm gonna gamble, might as well go the cheap route, right? See the control arm on top. The ball joint is a little crooked and isn't pressed in all the way. Im not very experienced with suspension stuff but this cant be good particularly when on a 2 inch leveled front end.

View attachment 273686 IM3.jpg

PICT.JPG

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

It looks to me that you need to send them back for a refund.

Lots of folks here have done suspension work on their trucks, and they will chime in with their thoughts and suggestions.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You went the cheap route. That’s never ever worked for me. Ive had good luck with my Moog steering and suspension parts. What kind of problems have you had with them?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon. Like @Rocket Man said, I have had good luck with Moog over the years and recommend them. What problems did you have with Moog?

OP
OP
S

snufflucks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm reception. I've seen so many questions about mevotech but no real explanation other than they are bad. I've looked over other forums and saw that mevotech made good parts. I just wanted to share an experience that could help the community.

I live in Alabama so I've always gone for moog. After 2005'ish I think -when Mr. Moog died- the company went downhill. The company was just sold a couple years ago and they closed down the Alabama Factories completely. Moog is only made oversees now. The good parts that bare the Moog name make will come out of japan now.

Having said that, I was let down by Moog. I had to replace a lower ball joint and rear hub bearing in my 2004 explorer a few years ago. Had to replace the arm twice within a couple weeks. Once the control arm was bent/manufactured wrong and was binding up and the other had a flaw in the ball joint assembly. Also, Explorers have an integrated hub assembly and the bearings are basically unserviceable. One hub assembly failed after about 10k miles and the replacement 30k. Someone hit me and totalled the car before i replaced the hub again. Those were all made in america, problem solver parts.

Now I order from Mevotech and have to play the part of quality assurance manager for them. I'll post up specific issues I have because there isn't enough qualitative info on these parts out there.

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got mevotech upper and lower control arms and outer tie rods from rock Auto but I got there tough terrain extreme ones with larger ball joints and I think thicker casting. Mine all look and fit good and my ball joints are fully seated lifespan of the parts idk yet haven't driven on them yet. If you know someone with a ball joint press they should be able to fix the one you got or you can ship it back and get another

OP
OP
S

snufflucks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just shipped it back for replacement cause with my luck something catastrophic would occur and I'd have to order another one anyway lol Wish there were still part houses around so I could compare the parts. I got the "supreme" line parts. I read on one of the truck forums, cant remember which one, that the ttx and supreme were the same aside from color and clamps on all the boots. Really who knows without pictures or real life experience. toyota guys seem to like the mevotech control arms. I'm sure its because they are SPC parts in mevotech boxes

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is wrong with getting GM parts instead of aftermarket parts?

Nothing wrong with gm parts. But comparing my stock gm arms to the mevotech ones there is a definite difference in joint size and the upper control arms one side is alot thicker than stock. I am lifting mine at same time as replacing everything and I plan to abuse it on trails and through fields at work so extra strength anywhere I can get it is kinda important to me.

I wish I could compare mine to supreme ones to see if any difference.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok. You had not said you were lifting your rig. At least I did not see where you said that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14