Check Engine Light not Working Along with Other Lights on Speedo? Replaced Speedo Still Nothing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmm121783

Searching for the next sunset...
Reaction score
Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
I've been away awhile, actually purchased my dream car a 2010 CTS-V Manual 6 :dogpile::dogpile::chewie:

Anyway the Tahoe allowed me to buy the V and store her during the harsh Michigan winters, can't wait for it to arrive here in Michigan. For now though I am down to the Tahoe so I am trying to get everything fixed now before the winter really sets in. Right now I'm dealing with an extremely strange issue and was hoping this forum could be of some help. Let me outline the issue.

A little history to give some background. I purchased the truck last October and loved it, went ahead and tried to remove all the cut wires and "leftovers" ICE left in the truck. This all went very well, had no real issues surrounding that. One thing I did notice that wasn't a functioning issue, more of a thorn in my side, was that a LOT of the indicator lights on the speedometer/cluster didn't seem to work. At first I thought it could be broken or bad bulbs, but they are all LEDs inside the clusters now and aren't replaceable. The following lights haven't worked since I bought the Tahoe:

Lights That Do Not Light Up:
Check Engine Light, 4x4 light, Tow Light, Low Fuel Level Light, Low Tire Level, Traction Control, Cruise Control and Low Oil Level and ABS

Lights That Do Illuminate:
Seat beat, Low Battery, Parking Brake, Security, Airbag, High Beams, Turn Signals

The weirdest thing that might be of note....When I do have low fuel, to the point where the "Low Fuel" light should come on, the cluster DIC says "Low Fuel Level" but the light never comes on. WHAT DOES HAPPEN is so weird, on the actual gas gauge itself, that indicates the level of fuel in the tank. It has the little gas pump icon at 6'oclock, believe it or not JUST THE GAS PUMP ICON will turn off when the Low Fuel Light is supposed to come on!? What the F?? I cannot understand how that could be programmed into the truck, or how that would work. This leads me to believe that their must be some sort of computer command that controls ALL Indicator lights on the cluster, somehow a majority of mine are disabled?

Here is a picture of the icon that will de-illuminate (even when headlights are on, plus my gauge is always illuminated 24/7 I cannot change or control that. The auto on/off button does nothing.)
UIAb9CW.jpg

All of this was fine, well sort of (sucks not knowing if you have a check engine light!) and so I bought the Autostart "upgrade" towards the end of last winter (key fobs and program code for the dealership). Everything went fine, autostart worked well and I was super happy. Now that winter has rolled around again I went to use the Autostart feature a few months back and noticed the truck didn't start, but it would flash the lights and I could hear the gas pump priming and the TB opening. Naturally I was extremely upset and started trying to figure out what was wrong. Pretty much the only thing we can find (GM tech I use @ a dealer) was the CEL P0651 (I believe), whatever the code is for Check Engine Light Malfunction.

So we cant figure this out, running a new wire for the check engine light seems pointless as I am missing 65% of my indicator lights on my cluster. What doesn't make sense is why the autostart would work last year and not work this winter?

Only other idea I have is that maybe the BCM has some weird program in it from the aftermarket installer of the LEO parts? There is a sticker in the glove box with the company that installed the LEO equipment, I've been considering calling them.
MKs9B4R.jpg

Any ideas forum dwellers and gods of knowledge?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
I've been away awhile, actually purchased my dream car a 2010 CTS-V Manual 6 :dogpile::dogpile::chewie:

Anyway the Tahoe allowed me to buy the V and store her during the harsh Michigan winters, can't wait for it to arrive here in Michigan. For now though I am down to the Tahoe so I am trying to get everything fixed now before the winter really sets in. Right now I'm dealing with an extremely strange issue and was hoping this forum could be of some help. Let me outline the issue.

A little history to give some background. I purchased the truck last October and loved it, went ahead and tried to remove all the cut wires and "leftovers" ICE left in the truck. This all went very well, had no real issues surrounding that. One thing I did notice that wasn't a functioning issue, more of a thorn in my side, was that a LOT of the indicator lights on the speedometer/cluster didn't seem to work. At first I thought it could be broken or bad bulbs, but they are all LEDs inside the clusters now and aren't replaceable. The following lights haven't worked since I bought the Tahoe:

Lights That Do Not Light Up:
Check Engine Light, 4x4 light, Tow Light, Low Fuel Level Light, Low Tire Level, Traction Control, Cruise Control and Low Oil Level and ABS

Lights That Do Illuminate:
Seat beat, Low Battery, Parking Brake, Security, Airbag, High Beams, Turn Signals

The weirdest thing that might be of note....When I do have low fuel, to the point where the "Low Fuel" light should come on, the cluster DIC says "Low Fuel Level" but the light never comes on. WHAT DOES HAPPEN is so weird, on the actual gas gauge itself, that indicates the level of fuel in the tank. It has the little gas pump icon at 6'oclock, believe it or not JUST THE GAS PUMP ICON will turn off when the Low Fuel Light is supposed to come on!? What the F?? I cannot understand how that could be programmed into the truck, or how that would work. This leads me to believe that their must be some sort of computer command that controls ALL Indicator lights on the cluster, somehow a majority of mine are disabled?

Here is a picture of the icon that will de-illuminate (even when headlights are on, plus my gauge is always illuminated 24/7 I cannot change or control that. The auto on/off button does nothing.)
UIAb9CW.jpg

All of this was fine, well sort of (sucks not knowing if you have a check engine light!) and so I bought the Autostart "upgrade" towards the end of last winter (key fobs and program code for the dealership). Everything went fine, autostart worked well and I was super happy. Now that winter has rolled around again I went to use the Autostart feature a few months back and noticed the truck didn't start, but it would flash the lights and I could hear the gas pump priming and the TB opening. Naturally I was extremely upset and started trying to figure out what was wrong. Pretty much the only thing we can find (GM tech I use @ a dealer) was the CEL P0651 (I believe), whatever the code is for Check Engine Light Malfunction.

So we cant figure this out, running a new wire for the check engine light seems pointless as I am missing 65% of my indicator lights on my cluster. What doesn't make sense is why the autostart would work last year and not work this winter?

Only other idea I have is that maybe the BCM has some weird program in it from the aftermarket installer of the LEO parts? There is a sticker in the glove box with the company that installed the LEO equipment, I've been considering calling them.
MKs9B4R.jpg

Any ideas forum dwellers and gods of knowledge?
Only words of wisdom from me is give them a call. Can't hurt. You're working blind now. They might be able to enlighten you about something. This was a former ICE vehicle? When govt vehicles go up for auction, some people are really careless when taking out the equipment. Maybe that could also be causing your issues.

OP
OP
jmm121783

jmm121783

Reaction score
Hey Tony! Happy Holidays

Yes this is a former Immigration and Customs Enforcement vehicle from the NYC/NJ area. It was sold to Asia Motors out of Chicago from whom I bought it from. Yes they did take the basic equipment off and some of it was still left on the vehicle which I pulled off EXTREMELY carefully. Most of it was cut wires and stuff disconnected so I fully removed it and the extra wiring. Nothing changed from the day I bought it to today in terms of the running lights and cluster lights.

I was going to go ahead and call them, like you said I am basically out of options at this point, maybe they have some information.

Thanks, anyone else have a similar issue?? Seems like one off problem, but then I doubt just one Tahoe was "reprogrammed" with these changes....It would only makes sense the entire fleet was like this making it a more common problem you would think? Ahhhhh who knows, hate electrical issues.

OP
OP
jmm121783

jmm121783

Reaction score
Im guessing no one has seen this which is gonna SUCK to try and figure out.....ugh.....I want the lights but more importantly I want the Remote Start as I paid $200 to get the upgrade which is essentially useless now :(

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I'm not sure why your lights aren't working but the remote start will not function if you have an active code (CEL on) by design. Which I'm sure you already know but thought I would mention it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya, what ken said, clear the code and autostart will work again until it self diagnoses that the cel light is non communicative again. i'm surprised it didn't give a lost communication with cluster code. the autostart kill is a feature so that you wont sit there and run the engine without coolant in it or no oil in it or anything that causes a cel and possibly ruin the engine.

OP
OP
jmm121783

jmm121783

Reaction score
Yea thanks for responding guys....I just don't understand how it worked last season and now doesn't work this season. We can clear the code but when the car runs again the CEL comes back up since the CEL light is still not working. We are going to try to run a new line to the ECM from the cluster to see if that helps. I really have zero idea where to proceed from there. I admit the season has me lazy and I have yet to contact the company that put in the LEO equipment. I will shoot them and email tonight and see if I can get any info from them.

Happy Holidays to all! Also the V is sucking up the majority of my attention, especially since this Michigan Winter that is supposed to hinder my ability to focus/mess with the V has been an absolute joke for yet another year so far. I am a skier who just bought a new pair of custom planks last year and looks like I'm going to have to fly to some mountains somewhere outside of the region to truly get a chance to use them :(

OP
OP
jmm121783

jmm121783

Reaction score
I tried contacting Unicor/FPI, the sticker that was in the dash....Stands for "Federal Prison Industries" so in other words they use prison labor to upfit vehicles. Of course they were ZERO help. Claimed they could only talk directly to Fleet Supervisors and refused to even confirm any work they do/don't preform on any of their LEO upfits. Damn now I'm extremely stuck.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I tried contacting Unicor/FPI, the sticker that was in the dash....Stands for "Federal Prison Industries" so in other words they use prison labor to upfit vehicles. Of course they were ZERO help. Claimed they could only talk directly to Fleet Supervisors and refused to even confirm any work they do/don't preform on any of their LEO upfits. Damn now I'm extremely stuck.
Why not get your buddy at the dealership to try and call. He can tell them they're working on it and these issues came up. Maybe out of a professional courtesy, they might offer up some info that'll help you out. At this point you've got nothing to lose. Also--Why not bring the truck back to the remote installer and tell them it won't work, and nothing has changed since it last stopped working. If they say anything about the cel not working, tell them it didn't work before either. Could be an issue with the auto start. Lastly--ever think about getting a factory reflash on your pcm and bcm?

OP
OP
jmm121783

jmm121783

Reaction score
I was going to factory reflash the BCM next, just wondering if that would mess anything else up ? I can't imagine anything since there was really nothing super special about the SSV vs a normal 4x4 in terms of features/functions

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork