Changing transmission oil lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lange74

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
One of my transmission oil lines is leaking near the radiator on my 2010 suburban Lt, 5,3l, 4x4.
I ordered a new one (Gm tells me the feed and return line come together so I have to change both)
Seems pretty easy to change by myself. Any problems I can encounter? Anything I'm not thinking of? How much time could it take someone who never did this before?
Any special tools?

thanks a lot

Last edited:

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of rags, a bucket, and OLD clothes...lol Nah, it is pretty straight forward, not really much to it, the hardest thing is trying to keep the tranny fluid from getting everywhere.

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
I hope you have small hands. Trying to get the upper line on the transmission disconnected and connected its a pain in the ass. It's much easier with smaller hands, which I definitely don't have. Also, snaking the lines in and out can be a little difficult. I recommend pulling the bumper cover off and turning the lines as you snake it out. Disconnect from the radiator first.

Btw, I'm not sure which line you need, or if the part number is the same, but I have an upper cooling line from my 07 Tahoe you can take off my hands. All I ask is you pay for shipping.

Northern Ont

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Domin8 -

My upper tranny line is leaking too, on an '07 Yukon, 5.3 litre engine.

If lange94 isn't interested I am.

Is the line you have new?
What is the part number?

Would you ship to Canada?

- Sorry guys, the site won't let me PM until I have 10 posts. This is 10.

Thanks,
Rob

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn leaking on 2010 that aint good. I'm definetely checking all of mine. Its been a while since I even opened the hood.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk

metal4all6

Reaction score
I had the same thing on my 2008 a couple weeks ago. I just paid the dealership a few hunderd to change it out.

38pont

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Disconnect Tool for Trans lines at cooler and upper rad.

Can anyone tell me who makes the disconnect tool for the spring clip that holds the trans cooler lines into he upper rad and trans cooler and where I can buy one? I have the tool for changing the fuel filter but not sure if I'd destroy the clip in the trans line coupler.
Thanks

38pont

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Trans line tools

Hey guys and gals
I did some digging and the least expensive tool is $14.00, and I'll call it an essential tool is made my Lisle and it's part number is 22930. Another company called http://alleganytoolco.com/. Check out the video on Allegany site that shows how to use the tool. The Lisle tool works the same way. They sell the same style tool for $28.00.
I'm getting the Lisle tool today.

I see two metal lines with a rubber hose installed on each. I know the one goes to the trans cooler up front but haven't crawled under the car to see where the other one goes. I bought my parts from Rock Auto. They are a great company to work with. I also got my front hub bearing from them. I recommend the Timkin hub bearing assembly. It's made in the USA!!!!!! I got my trans line from them too as well as the serp belts.
Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick