Changing projector on aftermarket headlight.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

my09denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have this aftermarket Esky style headlight. I love the look but the light output is not the best with halogen H1 bulbs. It won't except HID bulbs without some mods and then some extra spacing etc. And even with that I think the projector is kind of cheap and the light output won't be the best.

So I thinking of doing a retro fit by changing the projector in this headlight. Looking for suggestions on what would be a good high quality projector for HID. Do you think I could just go to the dealer and get projector lens for a caddy or Arcadia etc? Or since this is wired for H1 bulbs should I try Ebay for H1 HID projectors?

Thanks

Attachments

• 2lhp_den07jmtm2.jpg
    2lhp_den07jmtm2.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 31
  • CIMG0946.jpg
    CIMG0946.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 44

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its Acadia, not Arcadia FYI.

also, i doubt u will want to go to the dealer to buy a complete headlight (they wont sell the parts) because its gonna be expensive. look online for all the supplies u need to retro it. theres a ton of OE projectors, and tons of opinions as to who is best. personally, i woudnt spend money retro'ing the ricy lights with the LEDs in them like that. i'd retro some nice clean factory lights to have a nice clean OE look.

OP
OP
M

my09denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd buy a new truck before I'd go back to the stock Yukon headlights. Don't like the look of them at all...but that is just my opinion. Plus they don't go w/ the black grill, wheels, and tails.

Any opinions on good projectors that would work for this setup?

Thanks.

PACE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not worth the trouble. I have the same set up. Just use the projectors as Day time running lights and at night hit the brights on those lights which equal the normal lights on the stock head lamps.

Where is your hood molding? If you are having trouble blacking it out I just the stuff. 3M black out paint replacement tape. Works great!

OP
OP
M

my09denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not worth the trouble. I have the same set up. Just use the projectors as Day time running lights and at night hit the brights on those lights which equal the normal lights on the stock head lamps.

Where is your hood molding? If you are having trouble blacking it out I just the stuff. 3M black out paint replacement tape. Works great!

I pulled the DRL fuse. So I basically use the LED as DRL. I didn't like how the high beam was slightly on w/ the DRL. I went with Sylvania Silverstar bulbs and they don't last that long and as much work as it is to change the bulbs with the NNBS I disabled it. I got HID in the fogs and with the LEDs I don't like how the the halogen head lights look at night. So I think I'm going to either do the HID like Williajj did or try the new projectors.

When I sell the truck I'll put it back to stock so I haven't done anything w/ the hood molding. I've been trying to get a bug deflector that covers the hood molding but can't find one. The one I got from the dealer sits above the hood molding on top of the hood. I need to find one that wraps around from underneath the hood.

Is that tape removable? How does it look up close?

Thanks for the input

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd buy a new truck before I'd go back to the stock Yukon headlights. Don't like the look of them at all...but that is just my opinion. Plus they don't go w/ the black grill, wheels, and tails.

Any opinions on good projectors that would work for this setup?

Thanks.

You can always black out the chrome would look nice with black out and a retro fit IMO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihtblzr