Changing pan gasket... Plug oil bypass?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, read a few threads around my question but didn't find a direct answer.

I have AFM disabled via BB tune. Will probably delete the hard parts in time.

I need to drop the pan to change the gasket and the pump o-ring. Should I plug the oil pressure bypass while I'm at it? Again, AFM turned off but the cam/lifters/VLOM/etc are still there.

Moreso, with the AFM turned off, would there be any benefit to swapping to a non-AFM oil pump while I'm at it?

Thanks in advance.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I would just install the AFM pressure relief valve deflector and leave the valve installed, at least until you replace the cam and lifters (physical delete).

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, read a few threads around my question but didn't find a direct answer.

I have AFM disabled via BB tune. Will probably delete the hard parts in time.

I need to drop the pan to change the gasket and the pump o-ring. Should I plug the oil pressure bypass while I'm at it? Again, AFM turned off but the cam/lifters/VLOM/etc are still there.

Moreso, with the AFM turned off, would there be any benefit to swapping to a non-AFM oil pump while I'm at it?

Thanks in advance.
Bill's advice is sound - especially if you still have the AFM hardware in the engine. But I would replace the valve with a new one and add the deflector.

That said, if you are 100% certain that you will mechanically delete the AFM or that it won't get accidentally activated again by you or a subsequent owner, I would plug it. There are 2 problems with the valve in the pan: 1/ those without a deflector installed at the factory (which includes yours), cause problems with the oil spray on the pistons jamming up the rings over time, and 2/ The valve itself can fail in the stuck-open position, thus relieving your engine of nearly all oil pressure. While the risk of the latter is small, it's not zero as some have apparently had it happen. When I did mine, I replaced the valve with a new one but if I were in there again would simply plug it since I no longer have AFM hardware.

In my opinion, there is no benefit to adding a non-AFM (low volume) oil pump, but there is value in replacing the oil pump as a preventative measure while you're in there. I really like the Melling pumps. I did a cam swap on mine this year, deleting AFM and VVT in the process and used a new Melling high volume pump when I put it back together. I get 60 psi when cold (which is the opening pressure of the relief valve in the oil pan, and 40-50 when warm while driving. Call Summit and they can spec the right one for you.

Last edited:

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Geotrash , do you remember the part # of the melling you used?
on summit I come up with melling : 10296 and M295HV and M365HV for the
high volume choices

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Geotrash , do you remember the part # of the melling you used?
on summit I come up with melling : 10296 and M295HV and M365HV for the
high volume choices
Sure do. It was the Melling M365HV. Note that it comes with three pressure springs - one pre-installed and the other 2 in a packet. I left the default pre-installed spring in place.

OP
OP
NGAneer

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I would just install the AFM pressure relief valve deflector and leave the valve installed, at least until you replace the cam and lifters (physical delete).

Bill's advice is sound - especially if you still have the AFM hardware in the engine. But I would replace the valve with a new one and add the deflector.

That said, if you are 100% certain that you will mechanically delete the AFM or that it won't get accidentally activated again by you or a subsequent owner, I would plug it. There are 2 problems with the valve in the pan: 1/ those without a deflector installed at the factory (which includes yours), cause problems with the oil spray on the pistons jamming up the rings over time, and 2/ The valve itself can fail in the stuck-open position, thus relieving your engine of nearly all oil pressure. While the risk of the latter is small, it's not zero as some have apparently had it happen. When I did mine, I replaced the valve with a new one but if I were in there again would simply plug it since I no longer have AFM hardware.

In my opinion, there is no benefit to adding a non-AFM (low volume) oil pump, but there is value in replacing the oil pump as a preventative measure while you're in there. I really like the Melling pumps. I did a cam swap on mine this year, deleting AFM and VVT in the process and used a new Melling high volume pump when I put it back together. I get 60 psi when cold (which is the opening pressure of the relief valve in the oil pan, and 40-50 when warm while driving. Call Summit and they can spec the right one for you.

Appreciate the info guys. I'll replace the valve with a new one, add the shield and probably go back with the recommended replacement Melling pump.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the info guys. I'll replace the valve with a new one, add the shield and probably go back with the recommended replacement Melling pump.

Haven't seen you around in ages. Welcome back.

I agree with this. I plugged mine when I deleted AFM. For safety's sake, I wouldn't plug it unless the system was 100% incapable of being activated. The stock oil pump is a high volume design to support AFM. I wouldn't downgrade it. No reason to replace it with a higher pressure unit, either. I'd install a HV pump on a worn engine to raise the oil pressure more as a Band-Aid, but not on an engine that currently has good pressure. It's just extra load on the engine and stress on the seals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14